Originally Posted by BSharp
I feel the same way about that Cardinals team, and the '68 World Series is the first one that I can remember watching. I was nine years old. All afternoon games then of course, and I remember beating it home from school for the last half.

I kind of miss the no-playoff format; win the league pennant, go to the WS. I can tolerate the LCS, but the divisionals and wild cards have gotten sort of ridiculous. The WS should be over by Columbus Day- does anyone really like Halloween baseball?

That was also the first World Series I remember and first baseball season that I remember. I was a Giants' fan, but the Cardinals have always been second. In part because their pitching coach in 1968 was Billy Muffett. Billy's wife, Janet, was my dad's cousin. Billy was also the pitching coach on the 1984 Tigers.

I remember watching that 1968 season as Denny closed in on 30 wins, but I was rooting for the Cardinals. We had tvs in school (maybe new that year). They rolled them on carts into the cafeteria at lunch so we could watch the games.