Originally Posted by Dragula
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by madscientist
Unlock the distributor and put the correct curve in it. Locking the timing out is wrong.
iagree
Set the initial, idle timing, at or close to 14 to 16 BTDC and total of 34 to 36 BTDC and let us know how that works for you scope
I use the Mr. Gasket 96B springs up (I hope that is the correct part number, maybe I should go look at some on the shelf, it is for GM distributors blush grin)

That curve wouldn't even idle in my Hemi. Funny how everyone thinks the same curve works on every engine. Its just a starting point, and you need to work on it to see how the engine responds Each engine likes what it likes, and total and idle will be different engine to engine. We are finding our stroker wedge engines like right around 38* and my buddies 440 that went 6.19 last night has to have 40* in it....

Whats nice about a locked distributor is the idle generally will get better with more timing. To low of idle timing, and the engine will start and stall very quickly, never really getting a strong idle. I find most of my engines like at least 20* in them. Hemis really like 25 at idle. Wedge we find 18 is usually fine. I like to close up the curve as much as possible to where its almost hard to start.

The issue with locked timing is you have no idea what your total timing is. Unless you set total at WOT. Then the curve won’t be correct if you don’t account for box retard.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston