Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
I don't necessarily buy into the doom and gloom for the market. I'm seeing run of the mill A-bodies go for several thousand when a few years ago they were $2k cars.

BUT, I want those of you in my age bracket (I'm 60) to make an observation. Up and down the street you live on and in your neighborhood, how many classic cars are there? I think in my neighborhood there's me and a guy (if he's still one street over) with a 65-ish Mustang. Used to be a guy up the street with a 50s pickup. I think he moved. The point is that when we young a lot of us were into these cars on some level. MOST of the guys I knew with 60s muscle cars back then don't have one anymore. We were ALWAYS a minority.

Guys with big collections that are getting on in age are thinking about getting out if there is nobody to leave them to. I get that and some really special cars will hit the market, but that has always happened. Then, there's guys like Wade Ogle (who I would guess to be in his 40s) with a very nice collection. My younger son has his Dart, has built a '65 Mustang, and works with a bunch of guys in his age range who are into old cars (but don't have his skills).

This subject comes up more than once a year and it's always the same. The hobby will be alive until we can't buy gasoline and oil anymore (yeah, it could happen, but not likely in our lifetimes).

Jim has a valid point. When I was young all the kids were talking about what they were going to get when they got older. Well, the kids from my HS are now in their mid 50's. Maybe 4 of us have cars. You know how many cars musclecars where in my HS parking lot? about 4. Just saying. As for the original vs restomod, think back to the day. Original was booooooring. Everyone was day 2ing their cars. Finally building the 67 Barracuda. Hint, it isn't even close to original. The Cyclone came to me with points and now has discs, different steering system, fuel injection, E-heads, roller cam etc. Even my Trans Am hasn't been original since the day I bought it and I'm planning on going with EFI with it also for a variety of reasons. The cars are going to my boys and trust me, they know what a carb is, but couldn't dream of actually tuning one.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"