I visited a nearby regional grocery chain store today. It was remodeled recently and had a normal amount of shoppers. I had thought of an idea last week, and I thought I would bounce it off the store manager. In the corporate world, that is about as productive as arguing with a traffic signal, but still I try.

Seems like one risk reduction most agree is beneficial, in any amount, is increased separation from others.

In this store, there are 10 check out lines. Seldom are more then 4 open, and rarely do all have a line more then three.

So I asked the store manager, if this virus thing gets really serious, people are going to feel uncomfortable shopping in a public space, and the most uncomfortable time will be standing in the check out line.

It went somewhat like this:

"I don't run your store, and don't know what the downside is, but why couldn't you just first open alternating check out lines?"

SM, "well we would have to close down the the line, count the money, and move everyone............."

" No, I don't mean right now, I mean when you open them up"

SM "well we normally don't do that"

"These aren't normal times"

Silence

"And I have never seen the lines ever open on the very end" (1-4)

SM "Well, we open them on holidays"

I'm thinking Memorial day, July 4th, and Labor Day?? eyes

"Well, if you want customers to come into your store and feel comfortable, you might want to consider It"

The light remained Red. laugh2

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.