There has been alot of information and conjecture about this tragic happening...
But I do believe some further clarifications are required:
1. We were in the San Fernando Valley Sunday morning and I can confirm the fog was heavy and dense. And we do know the crash site hilly topology well as it is adjacent to a popular road (Malibu Canyon) we often take going to Malibu off the 101 freeway.
2. The route to their destination does follow the 101 freeway, as this pilot, Bryant, copter have made the same trip multiple times. But not during dense fog conditions, in SoCal we do get frequent overcast conditions but typically this occurs more frequently to the west along the nearby coast..
3. The 15 minute holding east of Glendale was due to existing traffic @ Burbank and Van Nuys airports, and overcast conditions. Note that Van Nuys airport is 1 of the busiest with >500K take-offs/landings ever year.
4. Business jet traffic was Van Nuys can often be very busy as many studios and celebrities fly out of there.
5. Various news reports state that their destination was in Thousand Oaks, this is true. However Thousand Oaks has no airport or appropriate landing spot, instead they fly to Camarillo airport which is about 7 miles away from Thousand Oaks. Their usual MO is to land @ Camarillo and take a limo to the Academy, so yes if they were running late there would be pressure on the pilot to expedite the flight.

In closing, like many we are greatly stunned by this incredible, sad tragic as Kobe was 1 of the most popular sport and culture personalities in Southern California.

Just my $0.02... wink