One more from the retired Army pilot:

"Watched the NTSB press statement.

There is very little doubt in my mind the guy was disoriented in low visibility.

He was flying into rising terrain, looked like most of the hilltops around him would have been obscured.

He made the decision to turn around and fly out the say he came in.

That is the most dangerous time in an abort sequence due to weather, especially if visibility is low, and you try to maintain VFR, and don’t transition to the instruments.

Turns in general IFR are fairly difficult.

You have to watch your artificial horizon, your torque gauge, your turn and slip indicator, and your vertical speed indicator.

If you’re also trying to watch for obstacles outside, it is VERY easy to become rapidly disoriented, and put the aircraft into a rate of descent in the middle of your turn.

I’ve done it while distracted by mission critical tasks in the aircraft, and making radio calls.

Ended up 1000ft below where I should have been in what seemed like a couple of seconds.

It happens.

Thankfully I had altitude to spare, and caught it before we hit the deck.

Aviation is an inherently unforgiving profession. What would be an ‘oops situation’ in a car is more often than not fatal in aviation.

Think about all the times you’ve been driving, and thought to yourself... oops... missed your turn, caused some kind of minor incident, or major incident. In the sky. That could be the end of you."

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP