Originally Posted by Diego (not Ted)
Originally Posted by Dcuda69

Did I mention people's value? What I was referring to was the lack of respect given to the others involved in this tragedy

You'll have to forgive me because when I see a reference to "lack of respect" I infer the suggestion that the others are valued less.

Again, there are profiles of the others all over the media. The only reason we know who they are is because they were on a copter with Kobe. When was the last time there was an aviation accident and we didn't bother to learn who the perished were?

The fact is that some celebrities have meaning to people, especially in the sports tribe. They're allowed to mourn in the way they see fit. For 60 years we've been doing it with "The Day the Music Died" (but....but what about the pilot?) and other tragic events in popular culture. Just more business as usual.

That's what I was thinking when I read this. Most often when there is an aviation tragedy you only hear that it happened and the number of souls that were lost. You almost never hear anything about any of the passengers' life stories, and you typically hear one or two mentions of the crash and then nothing. So I don't know why there would be some expectation of hearing the life stories of the non-celebrities involved in the crash.

For that matter, thousands of people die every day and most of us don't hear anything of them at all, unless they happen to be a well-known celebrity. Which is probably a good thing as most families want privacy when they lose a loved one, not news coverage. twocents