Originally Posted by Mastershake340
I have a few friends who’ve moved to TN in recent years. Sounds attractive there but isn’t booze expensive/liquor only at government stores?
Just an example of how a state digs itself into an impossible hole. An old friend of mines dad was a high school teacher. My friend was telling me recently that his dad, who is now around 90 years old, has been collecting a pension for more years than years he taught. And with his government pensions annual cost of living increases, his dad’s annual pension payments are far more than his income when he was working ever were.
To add insult to injury, the pensions are based on the average of the last 3 years income, and a game the school districts like to do, is give teachers approaching retirement really big raises their final years to boost their impending pension payments. How nice of them, just send the bill to the taxpayers.
And after it started becoming very apparent this pension burden isn’t going to be sustainable, the legislators shrugged their shoulders and said the state constitution guarantees that promised state pension payments can never be decreased, so there is nothing they can do. I guess they better start building mints and printing currency, because printing money is the only way they are going to be able to get enough money to meet their state constitution required obligations!
I look forward to sitting on my front porch in another state watching the state collapse from a comfortable distance!

They have booze at independent stores in TN. Beer is a lot more expensive than in Michigan, its about $20 for a 24 pack of a lot of name brands where you could get a 30 of the same beer for $16 in MI anyway.

My parents live in Sumner county (northeast of Nashville) and huge amounts of people have moved in since they moved there in 2009. Housing values are actually starting to get kinda stupid there, when my parents moved there it was really affordable. It's not a bad place but there's going to be an infrastructure bomb because it's way too full at this point. They are also seemingly terrible at planning road networks, building and maintaining them. The roads look more like Michigan every year.

We tried going to the grocery store on a Saturday, there had to be 600 people in Kroger, barely a parking spot available.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip