Just a few things I can think of right now that I've seen from running my own stuff...

1. A vacuum pump only helps w/ oil leaks on a mid 9 sec NA 572. Saw zero performance difference, but it did stop the little annoying oil leaks. Had low tension rings in it too. Might work better on other combos, but I certainly don't think it's worth it.

2. I ran my 572 hemi for 13 years and freshened it up a couple times in that time frame. Obviously it got more and more worn at every freshen up...speaking about the pistons and bores. A simple dingle berry hone and re-ring and it ran just as fast as it did when it was fresh. Even though the wall clearance had grown .003" and had .002" taper and out of round.

3. Zero difference b/t spark plug wires. MSD, Taylor, and Firecore...pick the ones that LOOK good to you, b/c they will run the same. I think the ignition market has more gimmick sales pitches than any other...well, maybe motor oil has more.

4. A couple of my engines that ran very well for what they were, weren't honed w/ torque plates. My hemi was done w/ one and I recently bought my own plate b/c no one around here had one. Not saying they aren't a good idea, but I have no idea what it's worth power-wise and a lot of folks seem to think it's worth 200 hp, lol. I know on my hemi, the bore is out of round .001" without the plate bolted down. See my 2nd example above for thoughts on that.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax