Originally Posted by Neil
It sounds like you have a new crank, but I had a machinist tell me BB mopar cranks have a rep for being out of square on the throws so the piston deck height can vary from hole to hole when you check them. He index grinds them to cure that.

I had a block decked once and had to have it redone by another shop as out of square was the best work the first shop was capable of. Some people make a living getting things close enough and hope you never check their work. Live and learn.

When I swapped my heads last summer I measured and found each cylinder varied from .009" in the hole to .001" in the whole. I had asked for zero deck when the machine work was being done and was told that's what I got. Having them all perfectly .005" in the hole would satisfy my OCD but the way it is still gets me in the .040"-.050" quench range for all of cylinders with a .039" gasket and I doubt the way the engine runs is affected that much for my mild build. I'm just glad none of the pistons were sticking up out of the cylinder.