Originally Posted by moparx
usually, a support bearing is used when having three joints in a steering shaft, but due to you having a sort of long shaft sticking out of your column, and the standard "long" rack shaft, i think a support would be insurance against any possible deflection. here is a shot of the support on my humpback project. it's a 3/4", .007 oversize, heim joint, available in a bunch of places especially made for steering shaft support. the oversize allows for a painted shaft installation. my shaft runs from the firewall, through the header tubes to the support, then to the rack. the steering is very smooth in operation. just a suggestion i would do if possible on your setup because of the extended column shaft.
beer

Looking at the op's steering column solution and yours, I thought the pictured solution induced cyclical velocity changes as the the column rotated when phased as pictured. I think many try to replicate a DS where the input and output angles are attempted to be same and because of relatively high RPMS , large torque inputs, and out of balance bending issues are dealt with, but none of which applies to a steering u joints. Here constant predictable steering angle inputs vs outputs are the goal,, ie constant velocity. Welded steering shafts also make me nervous.

I do like the project. up

"A configuration known as a double Cardan joint drive shaft partially overcomes the problem of jerky rotation. This configuration uses two U-joints joined by an intermediate shaft, with the second U-joint phased in relation to the first U-joint to cancel the changing angular velocity. In this configuration, the angular velocity of the driven shaft will match that of the driving shaft, provided that both the driving shaft and the driven shaft are at equal angles with respect to the intermediate shaft (but not necessarily in the same plane) and that the two universal joints are 90 degrees out of phase. This assembly is commonly employed in rear wheel drive vehicles, where it is known as a drive shaft or propeller (prop) shaft." From Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_joint#Double_Cardan_joint

Granted, not the highest tech source

Last edited by jcc; 10/22/19 09:46 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.