Originally Posted by NachoRT74
Originally Posted by jbc426
I never did overcome the Mopar low voltage at idle issue using any of the Mopar alternators. I even tried the smallest pulley I could find on the alternators.

I stumbled across the adapter bracket to mount a CS 144 on my car. It puts out 135 amps at a slow idle and over 200 amps just off idle. Yes, I did upgrade my wiring to accommodate the heavier amp load by using a lot of the Mad Electric theory. . I was not after the peak output, but wanted more amps at idle.

No one has ever noticed that it's a non=Mopar unit.

Need to note your alt will never provide more than the car needs at iddle or revving up! You can get 800 amps alt if you want, but if your car ( along with the batt if discharged ) requires 55 amps while iddling because you have fans and whatever else, the alt will provide JUST 55 amps. The alt specs just says is ABLE to provide the output at certain speeds, but not that will PROVIDE it as a steady output.

The tests made on bench are being full fielded to provide its max output over the speed curve.

And more than voltage issue is really amperage issue, just that at certain amperage failure, then voltage begins to make somehow a proportional failure, but when you get the voltage variation, amperage began to fail way earlier.

Yes, Nacho. Good point.

I saw that as a given, as its an inherent design feature of these system. I used to have a a way to big electric race style fuel pump, twin Spal fans that sucked nearly 50 amps on start up along with A/C, power windows, and brighter headlights. It took care of all that.

I've since switched over to the Mopar clutch fan & shroud, and put a more street friendly 2 speed fuel pump on the car. It works much better, and as you pointed out, the system automatically adjusts to the load.

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)