As with any street/strip car that’s trying balance the two modes of operation, it’s just a pile of compromises.

In order to improve one aspect of the operation, you have to give something from the other side.

Aside from maybe more cubes...... not usually any down sides to that other than fuel consumption.

I don’t think a different flat tappet cam would provide “much” performance improvement....... with no other changes to the combo.

It would probably be better if it was faster, and slightly smaller, and a little tighter........ and that would possibly run worse on the street with mufflers on it......... and would need pretty stout springs, which will impact reliability in street use.
But...... if that were more than about .10 I’d be surprised.

There’s always some trade off.

This is why I like to dyno the motor before installation.

If you knew it made enough power to run a 10.0 you wouldn’t mess with it. You’d concentrate on the “car”.

So far at least, it looks like you need to find 50-60hp worth of mph to get into the 10.0 zone.

My guess is, if the motor were on the dyno, the hp numbers would look better than what the ET indicates the power is.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads