Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted by csk
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA
Originally Posted by lewtot184
I've shucked 8 3/4 ring and pinions with a 383 4spd. maybe an 8 3/4 will hold up; maybe not. a lot of factors to consider. if you do an 8 3/4 and rip it the initial cost and repairs will be more than the initial cost of a dana.

Same here, I've toasted quite a few 8 3/4 rears, even behind a few 340/4spds's..... DANA 60, end of story

THIS ^^^^^^^^

iagree Build a Dana and you're done. Building a dana from a junkyard truck rear can be done cheap. Especially if you get one w/ the good track-lock diff. It'll have either 3.54 or 4.10s gears in it already most likely.
The one I put in my dad's road runner came from under an old dodge motorhome/camper van of some sort. Had the good track lock diff and 3.54s w/ a 1350 yoke surprisingly. All we did was narrow it, weld on pass. car ends and perches, and get some 35 spline axles from Dr. Diff. As well as his track-lock rebuild kit w/ the 35 spline side gears.

Backbraces and billet caps for an 8.75 are "feel good" parts. May make you feel better, but do nothing to keep it from shredding the ring and pinion.

Almost identical to my experience. Cut down Dana 60 from a truck, welded on car ends and used a spool and Dr. Diff axles. Under $1k total and ran identical to what the 8 3/4 did the week prior. I run 3.54's.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.