I moved over from the previous discussion on upgrades because I do see that before I move on with adding power I need to assure the rear end is ready for it. The Tremec is supposed to be good for 600 hp so we’re plenty good there. The 8 1/4 has endured what I have thrown at it so far but I am going on the experience of others about its limits.

So of course the 8 3/4 and Dana 60 were thrown out there. I am well aware of the capability of the 8 3/4 and am familiar with the set up and adding disc brakes to it. For me, straight forward.

But the Dana I thought was too much rotating mass and may be an overkill for a small block at even 450 hp with a manual trans.

How available are the right housings and center sections (3.91 gear with ls) going to be for each type? (Going in a third gen b-body) Is there going to be a difference in the cost to build each one? Is there a wow factor with the Dana over the Chrysler unit? Besides strength or longevity will one perform better than another in different situations such as street, auto cross and 1/4 mile? Will narrowing one be easier than the other?

If I have not mentioned something that should be mentioned please bring it up. Thanks!

54A7AD19-9BF2-4909-9024-A15B3DC1D0BE.jpeg

‘72 Charger, 5.9 Magnum, Tremec 5 spd., Pro-Touring
‘14 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 4x4, 1500