Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
No experience with that system, but a couple q’s.......

What does the ecu use to reference “cruise” and “WOT”?

Can you watch the timing live on the hand held?

As I recall, your motor has a pretty short cam....... what’s the CR, and have you ever done a compression test?

“The way I’d want it to work is.......”
The “cruise” timing would only be for the times when the rpm was up a bit, and the manifold vacuum was quite high.
As soon as you started pushing on the throttle, timing should automatically start regarding........so that at anything less than say 6-8” vacuum you’re back to the WOT setting.
That 6-8” is just off the top of my head...... and that would be something that needed to be experimented with.
Basically, you’re trying to mimic a properly functioning vacuum advance.

Looking at the spark map it seems to use reading from the MAP sensor to make that determination.

Motor has a 230@.050" roller cam in it with a 10.5:1 static compression. I took a compression reading on #1 a while back just for the hell of it and it came back at 190 PSI. I was just screwing around and that was only #1 with all the other plugs in and the engine cold.

Never had any spark knock issues with the old setup set at 24 degrees initial with 34 total all in.

I'll attach a screenshot of the spark map that was auto generated by the ECU ---- sorry it's so hard to read, the forum keeps resizing it and knocking the quality down.

sparkmap2.png
Last edited by MarkM; 07/29/19 06:32 PM.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60