I currently have a fairly mild and well sorted combo in a D150 - 440 (9:1 comp, 236 @ 50 cam), 727 w/ 4k stall and D60 w/4.10. This combo has been 7.50s and has proved trouble free.

Unfortunately, I’ve grown a bit bored with the combo and lately I’ve been weighing my options as to which direction to pursue next.

Goals:
-Good all-around street / strip vehicle.
-Ability to confidently drive 2+ hours (one way) to race
-Better the current best ET - would love 7.0x - 7.2xs (1/8 mile - so low 11s ¼ mile) but that may be a stretch given the weight of my truck

One direction I’m contemplating is moving to the Gen3 platform vs building a RB stroker. I will be selling my collection of B / RB engines & parts as well as the current engine in the truck to fund this – I estimate I will have about $4500 (+/-) to dedicated towards the engine. I intend to bite the bullet and go EFI on this one, which will require a fuel system up grade (lines + tank)

I’m estimating a Gen3 (w/ 904) at 500 - 525hp at the crank would accomplish my goals – open for debate if someone sees differently

If one was starting from scratch, what is the best course of action for simple n/a Gen3 build?

Two specific options I’m looking at (based on ease of getting it up running and swapped) are:
1) sbe 5.7 w/ eagle heads and 273 cam – a member on here built a similar combo with good results
2) sbe 6.1 w/ cam

I could be way off base here but I’d love to hear some advice / combos from those that have been down this road. Seems like there are a lot of "template" builds for the B/ RB stuff but not much for the Gen3 platform.