Originally Posted by crash520
Originally Posted by dodgy
crash have you got a pump , bloke in Brisbane was selling TS Astra pumps fairly cheap.

Dodgy, yes I saw his adds, according to a PS guy on the Northside the Astra TRW pumps can’t be pressure controlled, so he says, they run around 1400 psi and I’d like it around 800-900 psi, he has a pump kit out of a European car (mini, bmw) that can be, but I’m thinking it’s a sales pitch and I don’t know that much about ps pumps. The Astra pumps are cheap, his conversion pump is $1400😳 and that a little more than I would be prepared to pay

I looked into this a few months ago. There are two Astra pumps: the earlier one (TRW I) puts out about 100 bar (1450psi) whereas the later (TRW II) is around 80 bar (1160 psi). Furthermore the earlier TRW II pumps are pressure controlled (or actually electrical load sensed) and the later ones require an ECU input. You have to look for an early TRW II pump. These pumps came in a variety of different models not only in Astra models.
The benefit of these pumps is speed sensitive power steering (high speed --> low steering input --> low electrical load --> low PS assist)!

btw. if the pressure is still too high you can buy this little device that allows you to adjust the pressure: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Heidts-PS-101-Adjustable-Power-Steering-Valve,14895.html

Have a close look at the connectors (the old pump has just one connection - the newer pump has several). This is the pump you want:

[Linked Image]

That's the newer pump you should avoid:

[Linked Image]

btw. have you looked at Mercedes pumps? W168 pumps (A 168 466 04 01) are 71 bar (1030 psi) and W414 (A 414 466 00 01) pumps are 81 bar (1175 psi).

[Linked Image]