I agree.. I don't want "fine" I want it right.

The carb is an aluminum hp 800 cfm . Tried 70 jets, it came with 80s, power valve was a 4.5 even though that is correct it tried a 2.5 for shits and giggles. Its currently back to the 4.5 valve and 80s. Transfer slots in the primaries gets me 1000 rpm but no response on the idle screws.

I drilled blades yesterday as I had little to no response from the idle screws, I do now but I am at 1500 idle..so I get to buy a new set of blades 🤯. I noticed AFTER drilling the blades the secondaries didnt leave any transfer slot open on a hard shut...so I fixed that with another wrap on the spring and adjusted the stop. (Thanks alot holley, lesson learned never trust anything out of the box.) If I would have caught this first I wouldn't have drilled.

I have also tried a 650 quick fuel. A 625 edelbrock, a 750 edelbrock, and a demon that I run on my 400 truck. The 750 edelbrock was on it previous to this head freshening endeavor.

None of those carbs would idle, the quick fuel was lent to me from the shop and he swears it is his baseline carb. He has never had that carb not run. Well..until now....I didnt adjust anything as I didn't want to curse it so I held it part throttle until I was up to temp, let it down and had crap fall on its face and die results 3 times and pulled it right back off. The edelbrocks I use on other things to rule out carb issues..they are reliable machines just no frills and not responsive. Point is i keep them ethanol free and they work on other vehicles and needed 25% throttle to keep the engine running.

The distributer is an msd pro billit. Its currently locked as I didnt want to risk adding another 20 degrees of timing by accident. And this is not new hardware. The cap and rotor and plugs and wires are. So yes...it starts at 50 degrees initial..somehow.