I have a 383 with 906 heads. I just had the valves done and installed a howards cam with 260° intake duration at .050 and 268° exhaust duration at .050. I have 140 PSI cranking compression, (seems low to me) My biggest question other than the carb trouble , is WHY IN THE HELL DOES THIS THING WANT 50° timing at 1000 rpm (that's where I'm stuck at idle) It absolutely hates anything less than 40°, wont run below it, and boils water pronto at 40°. MSD 6 AL, billet mechanical only distributor, doesn't buck the starter until 60°

Degreed cam with heads off, checked it again, after break in, it is where howards wants in on the advance side 102°.

Tied a summit MSD knock off box, same results
Tried a Summit knock off distributer, same results,
Tried a second carb lent to me from the shop that did my heads , same result.

The motor has a set of TRW dome pistons # L2293, that SHOULD give me 11 to 1 .. but i think they may have been milled .. I currently have a .050 head gasket.. If you guys think I have a serious lack of squeeze going on.. how much should I mill off these 906's????? I would love to run 93 octane and not have to run some crazy timing...

The guy that did my heads cannot explain it.. I never checked timing before I took this apart .. I just ran as much advance as I could before it would buck the starter.. and it ran solid, with a bigger cam.. now it is in a state of terrible shake rattle and roll at idle and is miserable. Thanks for any input in advance.