Ok...so after bouncing around the internet for awhile I decided to run a test wire from the hot wire on the back of the alternator to the + post on the battery and wala...14.7 volts....what the heck did I just discover???. Prior to doing this I had checked grounds all the way to the instrument panel and had continutity everywhere it should be. Does this mean the main wire is bad or disconnected somewhere that I can't see?
As a side note, prior to installing the test wire I checked the voltage at the back of the alternator and had 40 volts...at the back of the alternator gauge I had 36 volts.
Update: the above made me decide to trace the alternator feed wire all the way to the bulkhead disconnect, everything ok to the engine compartment side...under the dash I go again...tugged on the alternator feed wire...and it fell out...cleaned it, tightened up the crimp and fed it back into its lock and bingo were charging 14.7 at the battery, Yee haw...new alternator, new voltage regulator, clean bulkhead connectors...and it turns out to be a disconnected wire inside the bulkhead connector...isn't this fun...lol laugh2 boogie

Last edited by RapidusMaximus; 05/27/19 02:15 PM.

1968 Plymouth GTX
1974 Dodge P/U Long Bed Stepside 318
2019 Ram 2500 6.4, auto, 4WD