Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
There is no “front” or “rear” with the heads.

If you swapped the heads side for side, what was the front would become the rear.

I built a 446 for a local guy in 2005. Used the RPM heads and MP covers......FelPro 1612 gaskets..... no leaks in 14 years.
It’s s solid cam, so regularly has the covers off.

You basically need a new set of gaskets each time you pull the covers.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the 1612 gasket and the VS50145R? i've had good luck with the VS50145R on the edelbrock heads, they are both listed as rubber coated fiber. im also a big fan of ARP valve cover studs and their 12 point nuts. i lay them on the head dry letting the studs hold the gasket in place, then i set the cover on and run my fingers around the outer edge of the cover to tuck the gasket into the lip on the cover then i snug the nuts down a little at a time starting with the bottom. like fast says, its a 1 time use with the gaskets, and sometimes you really have to pop the cover to get it to break free when you are removing it but the dont leak this way. i change the oil and check the lash every fall so its a yearly gasket replacement. i do this on both of the cars we have with edelbrock heads. i tried the cometic rubber gaskets and they leaked really bad with these covers. i like the look of the mp cast covers but they really are a crappy piece for what they cost.

Last edited by Runner; 05/22/19 01:22 PM.