Several years ago I replaced the stock iron heads on my 512 stoker with Edelbrock aluminum performance heads. The main reason that I had done this was that I had a horrific plug fouling problem and after trying every trick that I could uncover finally in spite advice from many, decided to swap out the heads as I was convinced that it was a sealing problem between the intake ports on the iron heads and my six pack intake.

I(we) had pulled the intake 3 times, closely examining the turkey pan metal gasket looking for any signs of oil being able to get into the intake ports from the lifter chamber to no success. Also doing the trick to ensure that intake had no gaps in contact with heads,,,as per the most obvious cause of perhaps milled heads with no corresponding planing of intake. All look ok each time.

Nevertheless replaced heads with Edelbrocks,,,ergo no more plug fouling and engine performance was outstanding.

However, ever since this swap, I have been plagued with oil seepage between my Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers and the heads,,,,only at the rear third of each cover at header side.

I have tried 3 or 4 different gasket sets, from cork to Moroso to Mr. Gasket. Finally installed a set of Superperformance gaskets,,,following instructions to a T,,,using silicone on valve cover side, installing but not tightening too much, waiting 12 hours and cinching down,,,although on aluminum heads being aware that if torqued to iron heads specs, I could pull the threads.

So being me, I assumed all would be well and off I go Saturday morning for a Mopar Cruise event,,,,and not to long I was aware of the familiar odor of hot oil cooking on headers.

So now I am saying, so much for Superperformance gaskets too. But this time I did a very close inspection postmortem.

These photos say it all,,,,note the head imprint on the gaskets at the bottom, header edge verses the intake edge. Of course this is where you need the most sealing as this is where the oil puddles.

It appears my problem is not my valve covers, nor my gaskets,,,,but an extremely poor made is on God knows where job of machining an adequately wide platform on the contact to valve cover edge.

2 photos are of radiator end of heads,,,all is well, 2 are of firewall end,,,very narrow edge,,,where leaking/seeping occurs.

Any advice as to where I go from here? I do intend to Edelbrock to hear what they have to say.

Actually the only reasonable relief I found in leaking was to take the least expensive O’Rielly Felpro gaskets and slather them with black silicone. Not the best solution or even a decent one for ease of maintenance. Pulling and replacing my heads does no appeal,,,but I suspect that is where I am heading.

29572883-C88C-4B25-9A09-31C747586D30.jpeg3764D98F-13EE-42AD-B653-74E49E5DABF9.jpeg499EDF2C-38F5-4B37-A855-989266E30AE8.jpeg7ED63A84-4CFC-4890-A4E4-3C136078EFE1.jpeg