Pulled the distributor to find shaft kinda loose, top plate kinda sloppy and when applying vacuum the pickup coil pulled into the stator. Pickup coil pivot did not appear to be concentric with the main shaft. Car is strictly a street cruiser.
radial or axial play (on the shaft). axial can be fixed/corrected to .005" with the speedway mtrs $10 shim kit (radial needs new bushings). pickup coil pivot not being concentric is normal. I'm thinking the holdown screw for the pickup assy was loose causing this. "Joesixpack" on here has (or did have) pickup coil assys for sale. I would stay with an OE electronic dist (not a newer MP Mallory version) & we can walk you thru blueprinting it. www.designed2drive.com has a plate that lets you mount an HEI module under the dist ($$$) but makeing one is a piece of cake out of a piece of aluminum. (dont forget the heat sink paste). I'd get an OE HEI module from a yard or an aftermarket version & consider the furd TBI coil (cheap at rockauto) & no ballast but it is unsightly but it does work real well OR if you go with an OE Mopar ECU be sure to carry a spare & I would go with at least 1.5 ohms of ballast on the OE boxes, depending on your coil.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth