Originally Posted By krautrock
Originally Posted By Chip
I have a 1973 400 block (630) that I want to build to 550-600hp for the dragstrip only. So far I was thinking after all my research, is to stroke the engine with Trickflow 240 heads. I read AndyF's Max-Performance book and was thinking 451 or 470...or maybe go right for the 512???

Can you more experienced racers give some suggestions of a build that might work for me? It looks like my budget is about $10K

Below is an idea for a build...

- 440source stroker kit with 2.200 BBC journals
- compression at 11-1 or 12-1 (high octane pump gas or 110 race gas)
- 590 mopar performance flat tappet cam
- Trickflow 240 heads
- single plane intake with holley carb

I'm thinking about the same thing here except I have a 440 crank already cut for a low deck so...451 is the deal for me though a 470 is still tempting. I thought about the 512 but in a low deck I don't think I like the short rod needed. Also, with a 512 I'd probably run the 270cc heads over the 240.

Where do you want the power band? Seems one of the biggest changes with going with a big stroker is what rpm you will spin the motor.

Yes, figuring out how you are going to use the engine is the most important step in engine building. A lot of people put race parts on street engines and then they aren't happy with the result. I've made that mistake a lot of times myself. Street engines need to be built differently than race engines. A lot of guys posting in the race section are actually building street engines. Nothing wrong with building a street engine to work on the street. Just take the ego out of it and don't worry about the fact that your cam and carb are smaller than what someone else used on a race engine.