Originally Posted By Chip
I have a 1973 400 block (630) that I want to build to 550-600hp for the dragstrip only. So far I was thinking after all my research, is to stroke the engine with Trickflow 240 heads. I read AndyF's Max-Performance book and was thinking 451 or 470...or maybe go right for the 512???

Can you more experienced racers give some suggestions of a build that might work for me? It looks like my budget is about $10K

Below is an idea for a build...

- 440source stroker kit with 2.200 BBC journals
- compression at 11-1 or 12-1 (high octane pump gas or 110 race gas)
- 590 mopar performance flat tappet cam
- Trickflow 240 heads
- single plane intake with holley carb

Your plan will work. A 470 with 11:1 compression ratio, Trick Flow 240 heads, Trick Flow intake and a big cam will easily make 600 hp. I've never tested the 590 cam with the 240 heads and I probably wouldn't use the 590 cam myself, but I'm sure it will work in a drag race engine. The idle quality might really suck but I bet it will pull hard from 3500 rpm on up. On an engine like that I'd use a Holley Sniper rather than a carb but that is up to you.

One way to pick up some power is to buy the Trick Flow intake manifold from Hughes Engines with the deep port match. Just order ahead of time since it takes them a few weeks to do the port work. This is the easiest way to get some intake manifold work done since most guys don't have the proper tools for intake manifold porting.

Last edited by AndyF; 02/21/19 02:09 PM.