Ammeter won't get any current going through if the battery doesn't get discharged. Said that with a good alt, after you cranked up your engine to start it up, the alt ( a good one ) will recharge it in a minute or so depending on your battery reserve capacity and how long it took the cranking to start up the engine. Once is charged, you will get a death centered amm needle, once again, with the propper alt on car, able to feed the car demands. Once made thay you take care of the weakness of bulkhead and you are done! won't have to worry on anything else not even the ammeter itself. No reading on ammeter ( death centered needle ) no load going throught. No load there is IMPOSIBLE to get any kind of heating process. Of course, you need to keep all terminals clean and tight everywhere. But STILL with terminals loosen at ammeter studs, if the alternator is enough to feed everything, the power will never go through because all the power requirements are BEFORE the amm when alt is suplying. YOU CAN NOT to keep them loose because at some moment the loads will go throught, i.e. while cranking, to feed ign system ( not starter motor ), when you press pedal brakes or turning lights because Charging system is slower than the loads being sucked so batt will feed these for less than a second on first impulse, or the recharging process after crank up the engine, however STILL with these loosen, with a good alt, the ammeter won't get loads to heat it

Please don't discuss me this anymore because I have lived with this upgrade for some years with my car being a driver and using A/C quite often! I have seen this on my car daaaaay after daaaaay for seeeeveral years.

I think may have even a vid of my ammeter after crank up the engine and how it gets centered still adding loads ( lights and stuff like that )

What Chrysler made after 1975 is replace the full load ammeter for a shunted ammeter system which it works like somehow of remote ammeter. The ammeter got an amplifier coil to increase magnetic field able to move the needle with a minimal load going parallel to a shunt wire ( on engine bay ) offering a slight resistance to the charging system which allowed to get some minimal load going through the shunted ammeter. But not a resistor on ammeter really.

Ammeter NEVER READS VOLTAGE... just magnetic fields variation caused by electrons which feed the load requirements

Last edited by NachoRT74; 02/20/19 12:24 AM.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela