Originally Posted By Stanton
My first choice - before buying the Thermal Arc - was the Everlast. Made in China but to a very high standard. Also and inverter with all the bells and whistles. I went with the Thermal Arc because its a long established company.

I'm not at all a fan of Chicom tools, but Ditto on Everlast unless you have Big $ for Miller, ESAB, or Lincoln inverter. Loaded with features and adjustability. Chicom built, American design with Siemens Rectifiers, 5 yr warranty, great price, but not exactly inexpensive. Get upgraded CK Torch and pedal. I bought the 250EX inverter, less than 1/2 the cost of similar featured welder from Big Blue, and I'm definitely happy with it. Check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjDSeY_SUpo

pretty interesting video. Everlast started out several years ago and quality control wasn't great at first, but they've steadily improved and now they are pretty solid. I believe Alpha run by the brother of the guy at Everlast, so there's probably some design overlap there.

Sometimes you can find good used American units but out on the welder's forums there's plenty of complaints about built-in-China board failures in name-brand "American" inverter welders. These boards are expensive unless you have a warranty....which most used units don't.

Really old Millers, ESAB, Lincoln, etc transformer welders are bulletproof, but they draw a ton of power and lack features like HF start and pulse. Sometimes you can get them with an external accessory box that adds those features, but unless you have 100 amp service in your garage, you won't be able to get full power out of them.

Also I second the recommendation to check out "Welding tips and Tricks". Also Tig Time on weld.com. Lots of great reviews of various TIG welders plus great pointers for newb's.

If you want a multi-Process machine(MIG/TIG/STICK):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7hnR-JHlzA

Last edited by 1KoolBee; 11/01/18 11:09 PM.

'68 Bee 383/TF/Factory Air...high school sweetheart
'67 GTX Clone project,500 six pack,Hemi4-speed,Dana
05 Dodge Viper, 505 V-10, 6-speed Tremec