Originally Posted By Supercuda
Originally Posted By 383man
Originally Posted By Supercuda
You obviously do not understand compressibility and incompressibility.

Obviously I do. Ron

This bit of ignorance begs to differ.

Quote:
And none of that fluid connects the front and rear systems by hydraulics.

What connects the front and rear piston in the M/C when you step on the brakes in a normally operating split system?

HYDRAULIC FLUID, there is no mechanical connection at this point.

Why does it work that way?

Because hydraulic fluid is incompressible and you get instant action on both.

What happens if you have a leak? Depends on which end but in either case neither one makes and pressure till the piston with the leak side bottoms out mechanically. Degrading your braking. UNLESS, you have someway to pinch off that leak (safety valve). Which lessens the degradation.

And as I said before yes there is brake fluid between the two pistons in the M/C but they are not hydraulicly connected because there is a piston with seals in between them. Yes fluid is on both sides of the pistons but if one side leaks the other side will not loose fluid and leak. When the fluid in between the pistons is lost from a leak in that side then the M/C compresses the spring that's between the pitons or at the end piston so you still have half the brake system. Yes the pedal will be lower but you will still have some brakes and the safety valve has nothing to do with it. As I stated before you can get a leak right at the M/C line and that leak is way before any safety valve that turns the lite on the dash on.

And I agree with you about a leak as the piston will move and compress the spring and bottom out so you have a lower brake pedal but you still have some brakes to stop with that did not leak any fluid from its side. Yes the brakes are degraded some when you get a leak in one side but you only loose half the brakes. The pedal drops and is much lower but it will still have some brakes which is the half that did not leak. If the two systems were hydraulicly connected then you would loose all the fluid with a leak and then that would make no sense to even have a dual system.

In a normal operating system there is fluid between the pistons but the front and rear systems are still not connected by their hydraulic fluid because one side can leak all its fluid and the other side will still work with a much lower pedal since it has to compress the spring and bottom out the piston. The side that did not leak will still work and have all its fluid. And it does not have to have any valve in the system for the brakes to still work with half the system. Ron