Originally Posted By GY3
Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By MrMayhem
Does anyone have any cam recommendations? Somebody stated skip the Hydro Roller, why? I'm not 100% opposed to a solid roller, just rather have not have to adjust the valves 4 times a year.

A hyd roller works fine in a big stroker since you don't need a lot of RPM to make power. A 505 with standard port heads will be pretty much finshed by 6500 rpm so it is a good match for a hyd roller cam.

If a building a street engine then don't get wrapped up in race engine thinking. A good street engine will have a smooth idle and a bunch of torque down low and if it runs out of steam a little early then so what. How often are you going to unleash 650 hp on the street anyway?

This is completely accurate! Getting a little further along, these engines don't need nor do they like higher stalls convertors and deep gears. A 2500 stall works well as does 3.23/3.55/3.54 gears.

Overbuild EVERYTHING! A driveshaft with 1350 joints is mandatory as is a pinion yoke with u-bolts. Throw away any hopes of getting an 8 3/4 to live and get a Dana 60. Not sure if something like a Dana Track lock would hold up or not, but I went with a spool to avoid future issues.

I make 713 ft./lbs. at 3450 rpm n/a and 885 ft./lbs. with a 150 shot of nitrous. It TESTS EVERYTHING! I've broken lots of stuff in the last two years but drive the car at least twice a week and race it every nice weekend. The work is worth it when you blow off sportbikes and high end latemodel stuff!

What cam was in your build that made 713 ft/lb? I agree on not going crazy deep with gears if you have the torque to pull a 3.54 or 3.73 through the traps. Being a hot rod, of course I want a rough idle that's what they make vacuum pumps for lol. I was hoping to keep stall speeds down as well. I have not yet purchased anything other than a 2 early 70's 440 block to have on the shelf. I'm still undecided on 512 or 528 kit and the TF 240 head vs the 270... Yes this is a street driven car that will have a set of slicks bolted on once in a while for track days but it is not a race car. I know I'm walking a fine line there on this build and all it takes is a few wrong choices to turn this into a car that can be temperamental on the street.