Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By MrMayhem
Does anyone have any cam recommendations? Somebody stated skip the Hydro Roller, why? I'm not 100% opposed to a solid roller, just rather have not have to adjust the valves 4 times a year.

A hyd roller works fine in a big stroker since you don't need a lot of RPM to make power. A 505 with standard port heads will be pretty much finshed by 6500 rpm so it is a good match for a hyd roller cam.

If a building a street engine then don't get wrapped up in race engine thinking. A good street engine will have a smooth idle and a bunch of torque down low and if it runs out of steam a little early then so what. How often are you going to unleash 650 hp on the street anyway?

This is completely accurate! Getting a little further along, these engines don't need nor do they like higher stalls convertors and deep gears. A 2500 stall works well as does 3.23/3.55/3.54 gears.

Overbuild EVERYTHING! A driveshaft with 1350 joints is mandatory as is a pinion yoke with u-bolts. Throw away any hopes of getting an 8 3/4 to live and get a Dana 60. Not sure if something like a Dana Track lock would hold up or not, but I went with a spool to avoid future issues.

I make 713 ft./lbs. at 3450 rpm n/a and 885 ft./lbs. with a 150 shot of nitrous. It TESTS EVERYTHING! I've broken lots of stuff in the last two years but drive the car at least twice a week and race it every nice weekend. The work is worth it when you blow off sportbikes and high end latemodel stuff!

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.