I think your right in there Duffman, the turbo mopars never got noticed till later.

I still have my 84 twin stick turbo colt (the original turbo import, imo) that runs low 13-s and all ive done to it is a good clutch, open exhaust, a different turbo, not bigger just newer and more efficient. And bypassed the fuel pump relay to allow more boost as they were built to kick out the fuel pump on anything more then 10 psi but the can handle 13-15 pounds.

The buicks mods were a no brainer when new, then Kenny Bell and others jumped in real quick. If id of kept mine much longer id of been in the slow end of things because we did mods that never required wrenching on the motor itself but that was changing by the end of 87 already.

After so many years of clapped out muscle cars of the late sixties and early seventies and then the late 70- early 80-s being so pale it was a blast.

The only legit driver that caused me fits was a w2 headed 4 speed dart sport as it could get me at times, but he could also get the other 49 or so in our group at the time and there were alot of BB cars in the mix as well, a couple sprayed cars and a few street supercharged cars.

My mods were simple, first a test tube (cat delete) the a full true dual ex, a lower t stat, lower temp cooling fan relay, wastegate valve to burn off some vac to the wastgate, and a simple chip and m@h racemaster street slicks that had a 500 miles lifespan. And good fuel.

Our last mod that proved well and many turbo guys figured out in todays world, is we went from a stock 3:42 gear to a 3:73 and slowed a hair, then went to a 3:08 rear gear and picked up 2/10s over the 3:42.