Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By DGS
what are the most commonly overlooked steps/items when building an engine? Such as forgetting to take a measurement or forgetting to install an oil plug.

Most common overlooked item is documentation. Very few people actually keep track of part numbers used, dimensions, clearances, etc. After a few months they don't remember what valve springs they used, what the bearing clearances are, what the ring gap was set at, which parts they used, etc. Then when they have a problem they have to start over.

I have a 2" binder with everything I did to my engine when I built my Hemi. I included all my pieces of papers from when I was checking bearing clearances, stretching the rod bolts, etc. I also included all my back of the napkin work when cc'ing the heads, cylinders, etc. If I wrote something down, I threw the paper in the binder. I also cut off every tab and bar code off all the parts I used. From the rods to the temperature sender. I have the balancing sheets, machine shop sheets and all the receipts, I don't want to review that pile!

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1