Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Mockup the eng complete from head to toe with gaskets. barely snug the heads so you can still use em. Have the gaskets dry. confirm that everything/all parts fit dead on. Have all your mods/tricks/additions/checks finished. then dissassemble & clean/oil & go back together. there is nothing worse than haveing to make chips on something in the middle of your final assy when something ain't right.

I couldn't agree more. Mock up,mock up, and mock up. There almost always WILL be something to adjust. Then clean, clean and once it's clean, clean it again. Also, I think most people aren't honest to themselves about their own abilities. You have to know when to hire out, call in the cavalry etc. Many engines fail immediately, ( trust me, you don't read about them all on here,but they happen...lol) because pride gets in the way. As Dirty Harry said, " a man's got to know his limitations". That goes for all of us. Lastly, build the best bottom end you can afford. People are infatuated with heads, flow numbers, shiny carbs and camshafts. It's all useless if the bottom end scatters. Be patient, be wise, and build the best shortblock you can.The rest will come when ready.Its always better to be going rounds, than standing, leaning on the fence after E1.

RIP Monte Smith

Your work is a reflection of yourself, autograph it with quality.

WD for Diamond Pistons,Sidewinder cylinder heads, Wiseco, K1 rods and cranks,BAM lifters, Morel lifters, Molnar Technologies, Harland Sharp, Pro Gear, Cometic, King Engine Bearings and many others.