My approach is.......assume none of it is right, or that any of it fits.

Don't be surprised if everything needs to be tweaked/fixed/massaged/adjusted.

In many cases, you're assembling a pile of parts that were never even in the same room until they arrived at your place, much less have been all bolted together and expected to actually run and live and make power.

I'm still surprised pretty often by some of the stuff I get that's made wrong and doesn't fit properly.

If you're trying to make some power, and you're intent on putting the motor together yourself.......try and learn.....and really understand.....what you're doing with regards to degreeing the cam.......especially if it's a custom grind.
There is every chance lining up the dots will not have the cam installed at the desired c/l.

Every time I hear someone give the advice to just "advance the cam" I just cringe.
This is often being given to someone who didn't degree the cam in the first place.....but they're being told to advance it(advance it to where from where?)
Know where your cam is installed, and leave that question mark out of the equation.

Along the same lines, verify the TDC mark on the damper is aligned with the "0" on the timing tab.

68 Satellite, 383 with stock 906’s, 3550lbs, 11.18@123
Dealer for Comp Cams/Indy Heads