sorry for the confusion, two different items.

Placing a diode across the ballast resistor, Anode side to the wire going to the ignition coil (I think Ignition 2, or start position), and the cathode side to the Ignition 1, or run position.
When in the start position, current flows through the diode back to the ign1 (run circuit.) The issue is having a diode sized to handle the current on the run circuit. On my old '68 Dodge truck converted to MP electronic ignition, I used two 1N4004 diodes in parallel (2 Amp capacity), but current also back flows through the ballast resistor too when in the start position.

The second part, was if you use an ignition system that does not need a ballast resistor, you can just connect both wires together.

If you are using the "GO" EFI unit with timing control, just connect the dist mag pickup to the EFIs violet and green wires and use the EFI unit to operate the ignition coil. Then you can connect the two start and run circuit wires together.

Really, the ballast resistor is just there to keep the ignition coil from overheating when the ignition is in the "run" position, but the engine is not running.