Originally Posted By Silver68RT
Are the BPE heads available in a 48 degree version? I bought a 48 degree R block in January, and I need some heads for it. I was thinking about the Indy 360-1, or -2, but I've heard bad things about customer service there. It's also a custom order to get them modified for the 48 degree block, and I think it's an extra $1100.

Are there any other options for 48 degree heads besides finding a set of old W2's? I'd like to build a street/strip stroker that I could put in my '69 Dart GT and take on Drag Week. Thinking about something in the 408 - 426" range, NA.

Thanks, I'll check out the W9's. They sounded kind of exotic as far as the water manifold and valve train, and coming without valve seats and guides so I hadn't really considered them. I'm assuming they would require custom headers too. I think TTI makes an A-body header for W2's, and I see that Jeg's still sells a W2 head for 48 degree blocks. I only paid a grand for the R-block, it's an early one without the extra bolt holes for the head, and it's not siamesed bore, 9.6" deck.

The W9's might be overkill (or budget kill) for me. What can you get out of a set of ported W2's on a pump gas 408? I've got 11 cars, so I have to kind of spread the funds out a little. The Dart's current 360 has pushed it to a 13.42 @ 100 mph best, but it's pretty tired now, hence the R-block purchase. I'd like to get it in the low 10's so I'd have a chance at qualifying for Street Machine Eliminator if I went for that class.

So,
You have 11 cars, I feel your pain, as I have 9 in total.
you have a 13 second 360 powered 69 Dart.
You have a 48 degree non-siamese R-3 block.

You want an NA street/strip stroker small block in the 408-426 range that will push a street driven Dart to low 10's, but don't feel W-9's will fit the budget, and have asked twice about W-2's.

Before you pursue this any further, serious consideration should be given to adjusting the budget, or your expectations.

Originally Posted By 340Cuda
I know they have made 48 degree W-2 heads but they are pretty rare.

I would check with Ryan Johnson at Shady Dell Speed Shop about Indy options. He is a dealer and can do any mods you might like. I would never recommend anyone deal directly with Indy.

Ryan did an engine for a guy on Drag Week that I think was a 48 degree R-3 with Indy heads and it was very quick. I am not sure what rockers were on it. It was a pristine light green Demon. His first name was Paul, last name escapes me right now. I don't think he is on this board but if so maybe he will speak up.

One down side for some folks on the W-9s is that I think Jesel and T&D are the only rockers available. However great stuff.

Good luck!

Bill

This is an article on the engine build for the car Bill is referring to in his post.

http://www.dragzine.com/news/video-428ci-pump-gas-small-block-mopar-built-for-drag-week/

Compare it to MattW's W-9 Build.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/this-436ci-small-block-mopar-makes-big-power-on-pump-gas/

Then Check out Mike Crow's 420 Ritter aluminum block build for his 69 5 Speed Dart.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2116453/1.html

Bill's son Clark (Bad340fish) has a 408 W-2 combo that has completed Drag Week, and is currently in the 10.80-90 range in his Barracuda.

My buddy Darryl went 11.00-11.20's in his 69 Dart with a W-2 408 and completed two Drag Weeks.

Both of these are full interior, real deal street cars, and both engines featured roller cams, and quality component throughout.

My 62 Valiant averaged 10.54 for five days on Drag Week, NA with a 428 conventional head, solid ft cam combo, but I'm 300+ pounds lighter than the typical 67-76 A body.

Crow's Dart runs low 10's, and would easily be high nines with an automatic, but he continues to try and go fast with a stick, in a small tire stock suspension class.

Paul's Demon has been 9.70s-9.80's on his two completed Drag Weeks.

What am I trying to say?
I spent 10K on my engine, and I already had the block, rockers, valve covers, oil pan, and headers. I'm quite sure the 408 W-2 roller cam combos weren't any cheaper.

Stepping up to the MattW/Mike Crow/Paul Cornman type small blocks would be nearly double, I would bet.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines