Originally Posted By BS27R1B
Originally Posted By 6bblgt
did it look like this - including VIN? eek

Think you nailed it Dan.

I talked with the owner of the Q5 69 RT a little more than a year ago and he was about to sell the engine that was in the car to the owner of the FJ5 Hemi Challenger convertible. The convertible had the original engine from the ragtop owner's original 70 Hemi Challenger hardtop and he wanted to remove the engine before he sold the convertible.
Apparently the engine in the RT convertible was thought to have been in the hemi Challenger convertible at some time and could have been that car's engine.
Confusing story but this could explain why the engine Dan thought was in the RT had been removed. This was done several months after the RT was at MCACN in November 2015. I also was told recently that the Q5 convertible is owned by someone south of where BB lives.

You've got that story totally messed up.

The original engine for the FJ5 Challenger Convertible was never in the Q5 69 R/T Conv.

Greg bought that engine from Mike Spascus about 5 years ago.
It was in a 66 Hemi 4spd Satellite when Mike Spascus bought it in the early 80's.
Mike had bought the Hemi Satellite knowing that it was from the JS27R0B Challenger.
Mike pulled the engine and sold the Satellite as a roller.
Another friend of mine (Keith F.) bought the 66 Hemi Satellite, bought a Hemi to build from Bob Pickel and the car was driven to the Mopar Nats (and back) in 1985.

What Mike S. didn't know was the guy that he had bought it from had ground off the VIN and stamped it with the 66 Satellite VIN.
Mike had been trying to sell the engine to the guy that owned the Challenger that it came out of, but at $35k he wasn't buying.
Greg bought that engine for $15k and sold it to the owner of the FJ5 JS27R0B Challenger for $16k.
That engine never had anything to do with the Hemi Coronet R/T Conv.

When Greg bought the 69 Q5 Turquoise R/T Convertible from Dennis there was no engine installed.
It came with the original Hemi block that Dennis had bought from Scott Dalhberg.

I spent an hour on the phone today with Greg discussing the screwed up stories that people are saying about the car.

The Q5 Hemi Coronet R/T Conv. was sold new at White Bear Dodge in MN.
At some point in the 70's it was bought off a used car lots and the bearing was spun shortly after.
The Hemi was pulled and a 440 installed.
The engine was sold to Scott.
The Car went to AR for a debt owed to the brother of the owner which is where Dave M. bought it.

It's amazing how screwed up stories get. laugh2

Greg currently owns a 69 Sunfire Yellow Hemi Road Runner (yes it's a real RM27J9 car)that he took on trade on the Q5 Coronet R/T from Bob B.

The Q5 car is now in Rochester New York.

Greg is one of those old school guys that won't touch a computer, never has never will.
That's why you don't see him responding to anything online.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol