Moparts

1968 Hemi GTX Convertible

Posted By: rarefish

1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 02:41 AM

For you amusement...

https://syracuse.craigslist.org/cto/5993658784.html
Posted By: cudanut

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:10 AM

Great barn find Looks like the same barn the 67 hemi gtx came out of on craigslist about a year ago. Cool
Posted By: mymcodebee

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:13 AM

Believe Devil was at his barn?
Posted By: JRepucci

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:20 AM

has a tag!

Attached picture hemi gtx tag.jpg
Posted By: wesgtx440

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:21 AM

Dreaming at that price.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:45 AM

Cool to see that car with the original engine gracefully deteriorated,but far from junk.100K is a good percentage of what it is worth restored ,but not as it sits.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:46 AM

Why is that a dream? 4 SPD HEMI CONVERTIBLE. As long as the frame is not rotted away . A 67 corvette 427 435 convert is worth more when they made so many why is the gtx a dream for 100k
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By wesgtx440
Dreaming at that price.

Really?!

Do you have one of the other 12 for sale? If so let me know as i am in the market.

If it's not rusted to death that car is actually a good deal.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:53 AM

Better buy a ticket.
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 04:21 AM

This black hemi auto sold for $175 plus fee's
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-269283/1968-plymouth-hemi-gtx-convertible/
I think it will take 75k to get it to that level
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 05:01 AM

funny, one of the other 12 is here in dallas.
It was one of the cars feets and I stumbled on near 25 years ago and it showed up at a car show a couple years back.

it is in much better shape. I had no idea it was worth that much.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 05:13 AM

The auction car is not a 4 speed. 75k is not going to change that fact. This car restored is worth more. So 100k is not out of the question. Just another level of car that most cannot afford.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 05:39 AM

I don't think the price is out of reason either depending on condition and if it is what he purports it to be.

Sheldon
Posted By: Devil

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 07:09 AM

Originally Posted By mymcodebee
Nope, never been there!
Posted By: BS27R1B

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 07:15 AM

The black car has the numbers block but it was so rotten at one time the front sub-frame broke away from the body. It was a Canadian car that was in the Ottawa area for a long time. Original owner used it as a daily driver.
I have also heard it could have been in Nova Scotia for a while.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 08:24 AM

if "sunfire yellow" is the original color - that would be rare for a 4-speed HEMI GTX convertible

5 of the 6 I know of are "electric blue metallic" eek I think that was written on the order sheet: "blue paint is recommended on a HEMI GTX" & if you checked the convertible box, there it was again: "are you sure you don't want it painted BLUE?"

if the frame rails are there - it would be a pleasure to restore a car of this caliber that hasn't been thru a couple of restorations already ..... WELL OPTIONED also: HEMI, 4-speed, PS, PDB, head rests, wood wheel, remote mirror, CAR, bumper guards, light package - did I miss anything?

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 09:12 AM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
if "sunfire yellow" is the original color - that would be rare for a 4-speed HEMI GTX convertible

5 of the 6 I know of are "electric blue metallic" eek I think that was written on the order sheet: "blue paint is recommended on a HEMI GTX" & if you checked the convertible box, there it was again: "are you sure you don't want it painted BLUE?"

if the frame rails are there - it would be a pleasure to restore a car of this caliber that hasn't been thru a couple of restorations already ..... WELL OPTIONED also: HEMI, 4-speed, PS, PDB, head rests, wood wheel, remote mirror, CAR, bumper guards, light package - did I miss anything?

I think you nailed it on all accounts!
Posted By: BigMoneyLewis

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 10:12 AM

100k as it sits sounds reasonable , considering it's probably a 225k car done, and if it won't pull that number today, it will in the not so distant future , and then some. Their is a saying in one of my other hobbies that "you didn't pay too much, you just bought a little early" .
It looks like a great project for someone , and the absolute pinnacle of 1968 B body cars .

Greg

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 10:56 AM

Originally Posted By Morty426

I think you nailed it on all accounts!

Is it radio delete?
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 10:57 AM

5 of the 6 I know of are "electric blue metallic"

There's at least two in these parts...

SA's 'press car', and a forest green one that was found languishing in a 'yard'...

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By BigMoneyLewis
100k as it sits sounds reasonable , considering it's probably a 225k car done, and if it won't pull that number today, it will in the not so distant future , and then some. Their is a saying in one of my other hobbies that "you didn't pay too much, you just bought a little early" .
It looks like a great project for someone , and the absolute pinnacle of 1968 B body cars .

Greg

I agree.
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 12:00 PM

QQ1 is a great colour.
LL1 would be better though

Carsten

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 12:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there is an 8-track & power windows hiding in there somewhere ..... scope

aren't both MI cars automatic? & SA's ember gold metallic is fine - but the green interior is hard to swallow puke

if it was returned to "YY1" - sierra tan metallic, this column shift automatic HEMI GTX convertible would be a welcome departure from the all too common "QQ1"

Attached picture RS27J8G204566.jpg
Posted By: killermopar

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 01:53 PM

I'm not far away if anyone needs a look.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By BigMoneyLewis

Greg

I agree, and IMO it could bring even more than $225k done. twocents
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:26 PM

Price may be a little stout but the seller calling potential buyers dumbazzes is a bit much.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By Devil
Nope, never been there!

Sorry Devil, thought this was the same guy with the 69 hemi coronet rag, 4 speed car. Barn looked pretty similar..
Posted By: Jer

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 04:20 PM

I know that car and the original owner. He's got to be about 100 by now, I don't know who is trying to sell the car. He's one of the nicest guys you could meet. The car has been in that barn for decades, parked it when he spun the engine, maybe mid-70s?. He's a true car guy - he used to terrorize the streets in an old Dodge pickup with an early hemi in it. Knows what the car is, has turned down many offers over the years. His late wife's pride and joy was her Arrow, also in the barn, sitting for decades.

I haven't seen him in a few years, been staying at his girlfriend's place. His farm is pretty much a mess now, since his wife and dog passed on. I saw where someone opened up the side of the barn somewhat recently, presumable to get the car(s) out, so I don't know if he sold it, had it moved, or still there. It's possible the car is elsewhere and the lister is selling for him (or his estate) or maybe flipping. Seems to me if he were serious, he could just ask any of the car guys here and have it sold in a few days. Some heavy hitters here in Rochester who know the car. Or eBay. Definitely not cl, though.

I think it's worth every penny of $100K as-is, and I know he turned down more years ago.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 04:30 PM

This yellow GTX ragtop is an easy $100K value. Numbers,4 speed and appears to be fairly original. tag is there and most likely so is the sheet.

Cool car, glad my hands are full right now.
Posted By: feeeighteefee

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 04:35 PM

easily worth 100 gs the way it is.any moparist that knows how to work on cars can get that baby fixed up and wouldnt cost a arm n leg..pay someone and they will make money off from you.. love the rare bumperettes on the front.u dont see them too often....that is 150 gs you see sitting there the way it is..
Posted By: 694406

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 04:42 PM

It is a cool car but I can't see it worth it in real $. Maybe trade value? That yellow is less than fantastic but the 4-spd bumps it back up. This one was at MCACN in 2015. The guy picked it up for in the $70K range.

Attached picture IMG_0884.JPG
Posted By: biggE

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 05:05 PM

A car like this with good history and numbers is up and above the others by a long way that are out there with questionable history. The cars in this league that don't bring the real big $ always have a reason and because of that aren't comparable to this project.
Posted By: Richard Cranium

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 05:30 PM

I see a minimum of 75 large going into this car, and that's if the body is solid. Is it worth 200K finished....I don't know.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 05:33 PM

Zip code is the main problem. If it was in Tucson I would feel better. A buddy of mine found one of those for sale in Alabama once. Except it was QQ1 blue, white stripe, white interior, white top, build sheet, fender tag, 4 speed. He wanted it bad so I loaned him the $200.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By Richard Cranium
I see a minimum of 75 large going into this car, and that's if the body is solid. Is it worth 200K finished....I don't know.

Mark, when are you picking it up?
Posted By: Richard Cranium

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 06:05 PM

Hmmmm, it's less than 5 hours away.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By Richard Cranium
Hmmmm, it's less than 5 hours away.

Can you say....Road trip!

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 06:43 PM

Quick update - I went by the farm this morning, all looks like it has been, I didn't check the barn (I don't trespass), so I think the pictures are relatively current.
Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 08:23 PM

It is without a doubt an awesome project. And not many left that have not already been found and are to some degree restored. I agree it needs a personal inspection. Here is a former Brett Torino car that sold IMO it is a better color combo, but not a 4 speed.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0116-229798/1968-plymouth-hemi-gtx-convertible/
Matt
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 08:38 PM

Been flagged for removal now???
Posted By: theraif

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 09:07 PM

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/barn...tible-for-100k/
Posted By: NANKET

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 10:02 PM

I'm not seeing the 100K money here. Hopefully is is solid and not eaten up underneath. Numbers 4 speed helps a ton.
68's are not that hot, 69's are more popular and worth more. That yellow color is awful.

OTOH 1968 is my favorite GTX convertible, which means little.

There is a reasone so many were Q code blue, it is a great color!
Posted By: 69_SIX_PACK

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 10:18 PM

Just throwing this out there, but if you were in the market for a 1968-70 HEMI B-body Convertible, say it had to be a 4-speed. How many cars would you have to choose from?

How about if you are one of those picky collectors that insist on only matching number cars (original drivetrains) how many of those do you think survived?

Then say you know what...I don't want a 68 HEMI GTX Convertible please exclude those cars...what is the market of the many cars that remain?

Dave

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 10:40 PM

around 30 built including the '68 GTXs

numbers, "good" cars & non-'68 GTX work 1, 2, 3, 4 shruggy 4 & two of them are GREEN frog
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 10:50 PM

I'm sure it sold no problem.

Sheldon
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 11:22 PM

That's both funny and free run at the same time.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/08/17 11:59 PM

What car is this:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-269496/1968-plymouth-hemi-gtx-convertible/

Seems "cheap"...it says SOLD for $180k:

Highlights
True J-Code Hemi GTX Convertible
One of 36 produced in 1968
Original sheet metal
Original 426 Hemi engine
Dual Edelbrock 4-barrel carburetors
Original carburetors included
Currently equipped with electronic ignition
Original distributor included
4-speed manual transmission
Power brakes
Blue with Black interior
Black convertible top and Rocker striping
Bucket seats
Wood-grain interior accents
Thumbwheel radio
Painted steel wheels
Chrome hubcaps
Redline tires
Believed to be 19,000 original miles
Plymouth’s beat went on roaring into 1968, and if you wanted upscale Mopar performance that year, this J-Code Hemi GTX convertible was the ultimate way to travel. Introduced only one season prior, the GTX was now a refined premium design featuring performance driveline parts, unique styling cues and a stellar street-light reputation. It benefited from the new reworking of the marque’s B-body platform body, which had blossomed into a maturity, matching the age of the muscle-car movement. The engine design was now denoted on special hood trim, with the letters GTX centered on the grille, lower rocker areas and unique cast red-trim rear panel. Those facts do not make this a commonplace vehicle, however, and only 36 buyers opted to fit the ultimate Chrysler engine, the Hemi, into this ultimate convertible platform. The car offered here is one of those, featuring both its original sheet metal and original 426 Hemi engine. Beneath that notorious chrome air cleaner, the powerplant has been retrofitted with two fresh Edelbrock 4-barrel replacement carburetors and an electronic ignition for drivability, with the original Carter carburetors and factory dual-point distributor included separately with this sale. The engine here is backed by the A833 Hemi 4-speed transmission, Dana 60 Sure Grip differential and factory power brakes. Showing 19,000 believed-original miles, this classic is finished in a beautiful blue metallic with color-keyed 15-inch steel wheels, chrome hubcaps and redline tires. The top, twin rocker stripes and interior are in black, and passenger-area accommodations include headrest-equipped bucket seats, a factory 4-speed shifter, wood-grain interior accents—including the steering wheel and door panels—and a thumbwheel-style radio. As has been proven time and again, all Hemi convertibles are exclusive breeds which remain extremely popular among knowledgeable collectors; just joining that group of owners can prove to be a challenge even for the willing. This special Hemi GTX convertible is expected to draw attention before and during this auction, and will continue to do so for its new owner.
Posted By: 1964hemi

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 12:00 AM

Flagged for removal????

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 12:00 AM

numbers, "good" cars & non-'68 GTX work 1, 2, 3, 4 shruggy 4 & two of them are GREEN frog

Wow thanks Dan.

Dave
Posted By: a493demon

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By Jer
Quick update - I went by the farm this morning, all looks like it has been, I didn't check the barn (I don't trespass), so I think the pictures are relatively current.
It said it's in baldwinsville ny in the ad is this where the car is ? I live in Baldwinsville that's why I ask .
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 05:20 AM

A friend told me the seller is not selling it, that he was price-shopping after he bought it.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By 69_SIX_PACK

Wow thanks Dan.

Dave

I'm sure there are a couple more that would fall into that catagory, but not many .....
Posted By: mr426427

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 06:32 AM

I bought the Blue GTX at Mecum recently and paid 198 with the fees. it is a well documented car with 19,000 miles, all numbers matching, and never rusted, not even the trunk floor. it has been repainted but otherwise mostly original. I thought it was a good buy because I don't think I could restore this CL car for 100G and have the same quality of car that I just bought. glad most of you think the car is worth the money because it was hard for me to lay out that much money for a B body hemi convert. I tend to agree the 69's seem to bring a little more. I initially tried to buy the Green 69 Hemi X convert at the same sale and had to drop out when that car went north of 250 with the fees. that is a good car too, but it is a column auto with a non matching tranny.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By mr426427
I bought the Blue GTX at Mecum recently and paid 198 with the fees. it is a well documented car with 19,000 miles, all numbers matching, and never rusted, not even the trunk floor. it has been repainted but otherwise mostly original. I thought it was a good buy because I don't think I could restore this CL car for 100G and have the same quality of car that I just bought. glad most of you think the car is worth the money because it was hard for me to lay out that much money for a B body hemi convert. I tend to agree the 69's seem to bring a little more. I initially tried to buy the Green 69 Hemi X convert at the same sale and had to drop out when that car went north of 250 with the fees. that is a good car too, but it is a column auto with a non matching tranny.

Original rust free panels make your car worth a premium to others for that alone.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By mr426427

Thanks for taking the time to respond on here. I don't have a dog in this fight but I think your car was well bought if it is as described.
Thats a cool car.

Dave

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 08:19 PM

Do you guys remember Dave Mulmuski? (spelling) out of MA years ago (early 1990's) had about six 68-69 Hemi B-Boby rags for sale for $25K each? They were mostly rollers if I remember right. He listed them in Hemmings every month. I was a struggling college kid with no money yet I dreamed of buying one of those shells. I remember saying to myself.. "Those cars will be worth double that in a few years"... LOL. Pretty sure I don't remember thinking they would be worth 200K...

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 08:42 PM

most of them have been restored work I believe the Q5 Road Runner 'vert at Graveyard Carz was one of them

EE1 - '68 Coronet
A4 - '69 RR
Q5 - '69 RR
B5/B7? - '69 GTX

others?

Attached picture 1969 q5 rr hemi.jpg

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 08:52 PM

I know he had a 69 Hemi Coronet RT four speed as that was the one I always wanted.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 09:01 PM

$

Attached picture 4600_MCACN-2013-chicago-plymouth-road-runner-1969-hemi-convertible_low_res.jpg
Attached picture rrcon.jpg

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 09:01 PM

Dave also owned the 'can opener' 1969 Road Runner Hemi ragtop F8 4 speed.
And yes the Q5 Runner was owned by Dave as well.

Attached picture IMG_5628.JPG

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 09:18 PM

that's another green HEMI RR 'vert - the "can opener" has a tan bucket seat interior

Attached picture rm27j9gxxxxxx-f8.jpg
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/09/17 10:56 PM

I know he had a 69 Hemi Coronet RT four speed as that was the one I always wanted.

Me too.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By Diego (not Ted)

Me too.

what color was it?
Posted By: beatgoeson

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By cudanut
Why is that a dream? 4 SPD HEMI CONVERTIBLE. As long as the frame is not rotted away . A 67 corvette 427 435 convert is worth more when they made so many why is the gtx a dream for 100k

Because there are probably 60 Corvette buyers for every 1 GTX buyer out there in the collector car world.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By beatgoeson
Originally Posted By cudanut

Because there are probably 60 Corvette buyers for every 1 GTX buyer out there in the collector car world.

came to the same conclusion in reference to BOSS 429 pricing realcrazy
Posted By: 1969 HEMI R-T

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 12:46 AM

Me To!!

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 12:53 AM

that's another green HEMI RR 'vert - the "can opener" has a tan bucket seat interior

There were a few in these parts:

Sunfire '67 Hemi 4-speed GTX convertible...

Maroon '67 Hemi 4-speed Coronet R/T convertible...

Green w/tan '69 Hemi 4-speed RoadRunner convertible...

Sunfire '69 Hemi 4-speed Coronet R/T convertible...

Rumors of a few more:

'70 Hemi RR convertible...

'68 Hemi Coronet R/T convertible...
Posted By: 69x

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 12:55 AM

The 69 hemi RT convert that Dave had is Q5 and was from MN when it was new.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 01:02 AM

the Q5 HEMI R/T was at MCACN 2015

Attached picture mopar-highlights-from-the-2015-mcacn-in-chicago-hemi-convertible.jpg

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 01:14 AM

most of them have been restored work I believe the Q5 Road Runner 'vert at Graveyard Carz was one of them

EE1 - '68 Coronet
A4 - '69 RR
Q5 - '69 RR
B5/B7? - '69 GTX

others?

I remember seeing this Q5 Hemi Road Runner convertible, back in the late 90s. It was a complete running car in the same condition as it is in the picture you posted. The car was at the Papas Dodge Mopar show at Limerock Raceway in Connecticut. When the owner l left the show, I followed him out in my 70 Charger R/T SE. I remember telling my wife when we were behind that car, that it was the only 69 Hemi Road Runner convertible I had ever seen in person.
Posted By: Matt M

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 02:36 AM

I remember when this car was in Carlisle under the roof.
I think it had just came out of a restoration.

The air grabber did not have the boot in it.
When my friend (who owns 2 69 Hemi B Body's) and I were discussing it when the guy who restored the car came over and they discussed that topic....

I just stayed out of it and admired the car.
I owned the exact same car and color combination at the time...
Except mine was a 383 4 speed.

Its a nice car.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G

Green w/tan '69 Hemi 4-speed RoadRunner convertible... H.S.'s had black interior (pic from MCACN earlier in the thread)

Rumors of a few more:

'70 Hemi RR convertible... color?

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 05:30 AM

'70 Hemi RR convertible... color?

Photo I saw appeared to be Lemon Twist...
Posted By: Hamtramck

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 07:10 AM

Do you guys remember Dave Mulmuski? (spelling) out of MA years ago (early 1990's) had about six 68-69 Hemi B-Boby rags for sale for $25K each? They were mostly rollers if I remember right. He listed them in Hemmings every month. I was a struggling college kid with no money yet I dreamed of buying one of those shells. I remember saying to myself.. "Those cars will be worth double that in a few years"... LOL. Pretty sure I don't remember thinking they would be worth 200K...

I remember those ads and like you had no cash at the time. Last one I remember was a 68 coronet r/t auto silver on red supposedly one of 8 ad said it was rough and I remember 12500 as the price. Often wonder where that one ended up

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 07:18 AM

I talked to someone that advertised a 70 Hemi Runner ragtop that was advertised a couple of years ago. It was purple and was not the Canadian one from Sask.
I cannot remember what he did not have or show but I had my doubts it was real. Could have been the fender tag now that I looked.

Attached picture 7321921-RM27R0G233024-FAKE-HEMI-rrCONVERTIBLE.jpg

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 07:48 AM

did it look like this - including VIN? eek

Attached picture RM27N0g233024.jpg
Attached picture 0g233024-VIN.jpg

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 06:47 PM

The Q5 Hemi Runner is a D32 automatic car not a 4-speed.
It was a condition #4 driver in 2000 when it was for sale on Heminet for roughly 90k $ IIRC.

The 69 RT vert in Q5 didn't have its matching engine anymore and was partly disassembled

Carsten

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By fc7_plumcrazy
It was a condition #4 driver in 2000 when it was for sale on Heminet for roughly 90k $ IIRC.

The 69 RT vert in Q5 didn't have its matching engine anymore and was partly disassembled

Carsten
The 69 RT was very rough as were all the cars that Dave M had, it was also born with a black gut not white which it now has.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By 69x

Carsten
The 69 RT was very rough as were all the cars that Dave M had, it was also born with a black gut not white which it now has.

& is/was advertised as the only "matching numbers" '69 HEMI 4-speed Coronet R/T 'vert spank

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By 69x

Carsten

& is/was advertised as the only "matching numbers" '69 HEMI 4-speed Coronet R/T 'vert spank
When Dave had it the motor was missing, he said the car was sold new in Duluth and later on the motor was pulled and the story goes it may have been put in another car that was raced in the Brainerd area, guess they must have found it.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By 69x
Originally Posted By 69x

Carsten

When Dave had it the motor was missing, he said the car was sold new in Duluth and later on the motor was pulled and the story goes it may have been put in another car that was raced in the Brainerd area, guess they must have found it.

never say never, but it has a VIN stamped 1966 cast block in it - without a VIN pad whistling

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 10:43 PM

it has a VIN stamped 1966 cast block in it - without a VIN pad whistling

How does that work???
Posted By: NewbombTurkk

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 11:33 PM

Would be intriguing just to haul it to shows just like it is for awhile....a dusty time capsule. Enough over restored yawners being hidden away for investment already.... This has character!

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/10/17 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
it has a VIN stamped 1966 cast block in it - without a VIN pad whistling

How does that work???

I'm not sure that it does! panic

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By 69x
Originally Posted By 69x
[quote=fc7_plumcrazy]The Q5 Hemi Runner is a D32 automatic car not a 4-speed.

Carsten

Quote:
never say never, but it has a VIN stamped 1966 cast block in it - without a VIN pad whistling

Obviously you have no idea what you're talking about.

The engine is a January 1968 casting date in the 69 Q5 Coronet R/T and it is the original engine.
It has all the correct original assembly stampings still on it.
The engine has an assembly date of August 1968 wand the car was built in November 1968.

Hemi's didn't start having the cast in machined VIN pad until March 16th 1968. There were January 1968 blocks used in early 1969 Hemi cars.

The original engine was bought by Scott Dahlberg in 1978 after it spun a bearing in the R/T.

A 440 was installed in the car at that time and prior to the car going to Arkansas for a debt owed to the car owners brother.

Scott never raced that block, he knew what he had right from the start (that the car it belonged in was rare).

Scott owned it for 25 years, Dave knew that Scott had the original engine was but wouldn't pay the $10,000 that Scott wanted for the bare block.

It was bought from Scott Dahlberg in 2003 by Dennis Phelps who is the guy who bought the car from Dave M.
Dave told Dennis that Scott had the original engine.

The current owner Bob B. paid the $3k for a Dave Wise inspection to have everything verified.

I'll post more of the cars history later, I need to get back to work in the garage right now.

Greg, the guy that restored the 69 Q5 R/T conv. is also the one that restored the Green 69 GTX conv for Steven Juliano (who owned it at that time).

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 07:00 AM

Think you nailed it Dan.

I talked with the owner of the Q5 69 RT a little more than a year ago and he was about to sell the engine that was in the car to the owner of the FJ5 Hemi Challenger convertible. The convertible had the original engine from the ragtop owner's original 70 Hemi Challenger hardtop and he wanted to remove the engine before he sold the convertible.
Apparently the engine in the RT convertible was thought to have been in the hemi Challenger convertible at some time and could have been that car's engine.
Confusing story but this could explain why the engine Dan thought was in the RT had been removed. This was done several months after the RT was at MCACN in November 2015. I also was told recently that the Q5 convertible is owned by someone south of where BB lives.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 08:33 AM

Originally Posted By BS27R1B

Think you nailed it Dan.

I talked with the owner of the Q5 69 RT a little more than a year ago and he was about to sell the engine that was in the car to the owner of the FJ5 Hemi Challenger convertible. The convertible had the original engine from the ragtop owner's original 70 Hemi Challenger hardtop and he wanted to remove the engine before he sold the convertible.
Apparently the engine in the RT convertible was thought to have been in the hemi Challenger convertible at some time and could have been that car's engine.
Confusing story but this could explain why the engine Dan thought was in the RT had been removed. This was done several months after the RT was at MCACN in November 2015. I also was told recently that the Q5 convertible is owned by someone south of where BB lives.

You've got that story totally messed up.

The original engine for the FJ5 Challenger Convertible was never in the Q5 69 R/T Conv.

Greg bought that engine from Mike Spascus about 5 years ago.
It was in a 66 Hemi 4spd Satellite when Mike Spascus bought it in the early 80's.
Mike had bought the Hemi Satellite knowing that it was from the JS27R0B Challenger.
Mike pulled the engine and sold the Satellite as a roller.
Another friend of mine (Keith F.) bought the 66 Hemi Satellite, bought a Hemi to build from Bob Pickel and the car was driven to the Mopar Nats (and back) in 1985.

What Mike S. didn't know was the guy that he had bought it from had ground off the VIN and stamped it with the 66 Satellite VIN.
Mike had been trying to sell the engine to the guy that owned the Challenger that it came out of, but at $35k he wasn't buying.
Greg bought that engine for $15k and sold it to the owner of the FJ5 JS27R0B Challenger for $16k.
That engine never had anything to do with the Hemi Coronet R/T Conv.

When Greg bought the 69 Q5 Turquoise R/T Convertible from Dennis there was no engine installed.
It came with the original Hemi block that Dennis had bought from Scott Dalhberg.

I spent an hour on the phone today with Greg discussing the screwed up stories that people are saying about the car.

The Q5 Hemi Coronet R/T Conv. was sold new at White Bear Dodge in MN.
At some point in the 70's it was bought off a used car lots and the bearing was spun shortly after.
The Hemi was pulled and a 440 installed.
The engine was sold to Scott.
The Car went to AR for a debt owed to the brother of the owner which is where Dave M. bought it.

It's amazing how screwed up stories get. laugh2

Greg currently owns a 69 Sunfire Yellow Hemi Road Runner (yes it's a real RM27J9 car)that he took on trade on the Q5 Coronet R/T from Bob B.

The Q5 car is now in Rochester New York.

Greg is one of those old school guys that won't touch a computer, never has never will.
That's why you don't see him responding to anything online.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By SNK-EYZ

I beg to differ ..... I put many ideas forward in this thread, & this one appears to have missed its mark.

beer thanks for clearing it up & providing some of the car's/engine's backstory - Obviously you have a personal connection with the car and its former owner, did you run the auction for it on eBay?

A January '68 HEMI block in a November '69 car is not the "NORM" & I even put the "NEVER SAY NEVER" when I "ASSUMED" it was a '66 block.

AFAIK: Bob B.'s buddy Steve F. has a numbers matching (eng/trans/ft) HEMI 4-speed '69 Coronet R/T - how can the Q5 car be the only one?

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 02:19 PM

Thanks for correcting my story.
I know the yellow Runner ragtop very well, it was dragged out of the Florida back woods many years ago. Quite a car, yellow with two tone tan. I dragged it to Canada from VA when John D grew tired of the project and sold it to a friend of mine.

Maybe you know different, but Steve F does claim to own the Q5 convertible and is the reason he recently offered another RT convertible to a friend of mine.
Posted By: drmopar

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 04:39 PM

So Bob B. has the Q5 hemi R/T vert AND the F8 on tan Hemi road runner vert? WOW.

Website needs updating!

http://rochesterautomuseum.com/gallery.html

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 06:53 PM

Thanks for correcting my story.
I know the yellow Runner ragtop very well, it was dragged out of the Florida back woods many years ago. Quite a car, yellow with two tone tan. I dragged it to Canada from VA when John D grew tired of the project and sold it to a friend of mine.

Maybe you know different, but Steve F does claim to own the Q5 convertible and is the reason he recently offered another RT convertible to a friend of mine.

At one point a couple years ago Greg Knobbe owned 2 of the 4 built 69 Hemi Coronet R/T Convertibles.

The Q5 Turquoise car and also the B7 Blue car.

While he was restoring the Q5 Turquoise car he sold the B7 Blue car to Scott Lindsey who then sold it to Steve F.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 07:08 PM

then there is additionally the F6 green one and the Y2 yellow one

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/11/17 07:43 PM

I believe Steve F. has the green/tan 4-speed RR & the F6/white 4-speed R/T

RK Motors finally sold the Y2 4-speed R/T 'vert after advertising for more than a year

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/12/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By SNK-EYZ

I beg to differ ..... I put many ideas forward in this thread, & this one appears to have missed its mark.

beer thanks for clearing it up & providing some of the car's/engine's backstory - Obviously you have a personal connection with the car and its former owner, did you run the auction for it on eBay?

A January '68 HEMI block in a November '69 car is not the "NORM" & I even put the "NEVER SAY NEVER" when I "ASSUMED" it was a '66 block.

AFAIK: Bob B.'s buddy Steve F. has a numbers matching (eng/trans/ft) HEMI 4-speed '69 Coronet R/T - how can the Q5 car be the only one?

I wasn't the one that had the Q5 car listed on ebay, that was actually Keith F.
Like I had said, Greg doesn't do computers much less the internet. laugh2

I just got off the phone with Greg, he called asking if I had posted what the real story was.

We were discussing cars and who owns them.

The F6 car has a questionable history as far as being numbers matching. The original engine was gone when Anatole (sp) owned it before it went to the Otis Chandler Collection.
The assembly numbers have supposedly never been verified on it. So who knows. shruggy

Steve F. owns the F6 R/T, the B7 R/T and also a 68 Maroon Hemi Coronet R/T Conv. that also came from Dennis Phelps.
Greg also said that Steve owns the 69 F8 Hemi R/R Conv, he bought it from Bob B. about a year ago.

Greg said that he'd part with the Sunfire Yellow Hemi Road Runner Conv. if someone offered him an interesting E-Body trade. He's actually more into E-Bodies anyway.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/12/17 12:19 AM

I was wrong on the Q5 car, Steve has the F6 and B7 RT ragtops.

The Y2 Dodge ragtop is simply that.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/12/17 04:06 AM

Is this the Y2 car?

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/12/17 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By Tempest
Is this the Y2 car?

It could be, it looks like it.
Bob B. didn't want the Recall Wheels that were on the Q5 Coronet so Greg kept them and put them and the redline tires on the Road Runner.

I had a quick look at the Hemi Road Runner Conv. when I was at Greg's house to document how to paint a 71 Challenger R/T grille and tailpanel.
Which of course Greg has one of. laugh2

Factory Curious Yellow 383, 4 spd R/T (Shaker hood was added).
It's the one that I hung all the rear sheet metal on about 6 years ago.

Greg stores the Hemi Road Runner Conv. on a 4 post lift with the 71 Challenger R/T underneath it.

He actually has two Sunfire Yellow Road Runner Convertibles, the real Hemi one and another that's a 383 4sd car that has a Hemi in it. The Hemi (new crate motor) in the clone will get pulled in the near future and installed in his Tor-Red/Hemi Orange 71 Cuda Conv (currently at the body shop getting redone)
Posted By: hemicar1971

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/12/17 06:18 PM

Anatol sold his 1969 Hemi Coronet Convetible in 1987, and I believe it had 13000 miles on the car. He said to me he thought it was the original motor and transmission but never did check to see if the numbers were on the block and transmission. He told me he had the interior out of the car looking for the broadcast sheet and found one for a 1969 Coronet Convertible 318. He also said he changed the starter and had the exhaust off it and also repainted the engine compartment. He used the car on the drag strip also. FUN is a three letter word that a lot of people have forgotten about with these cars.

At one time Anatol was collecting information on these 1969 Hemi Coronet Convertibles. I gave him all I had on the Canadian sold cars and the US built cars. I do not know if there are any export cars. At one time I owned a hemi four speed out of one or the 1969 Hemi Coronet Convertibles that were in Toronto.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By Tempest
Is this the Y2 car?

That should be the HEMI. There is only one Y2 Yellow HEMI Vert if I recall, and this pic was to be the one.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 05:36 AM

Yes that is the Y2 Runner. That photo is inside a garage in Ajax Ontario. It was sold into Rochester and I understand from this thread it is now in MO.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 07:14 AM

thought that tile floor looked familiar biggrin

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 07:19 AM

While we're mentioning R/T convertibles.... okay, probably not a hemi car, but it was picked pretty much clean, a rusty shell, no numbers/tags anywhere. I'd imagine that it lives on in one form or another now, though.

Attached picture 69RTCvt.jpg

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 08:13 AM

Yes that is the Y2 Runner. That photo is inside a garage in Ajax Ontario. It was sold into Rochester and I understand from this thread it is now in MO.

Yes, it's now in the Saint Louis MO suburb (south county).

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By Jer
While we're mentioning R/T convertibles....

where's that pic from? - there was a Y2 HEMI Coronet R/T 'vert in a junkyard - the tag is owned by someone in AZ

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 02:06 PM

and the RK Y2 vert which they bought on a auction previously is the same car? Or just the same VIN?

Carsten
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 06:33 PM

There was also a '69 hemi RT ragtop in an upstate NY junkyard. I saw the rusty fender tag from the car in June '95. The fellow that has it, went to college up there and found the car and removed the tag for a souvenir. I can't remember the details on the tag. But, I know the guy now lives in AZ😜 He may even be a member here.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 07:34 PM

Were are they now.

Canadian Sold

WS27J8 123856

Can not find a picture but there was a Hemi Convertible that showed up at the Mopar Nationals in Columbus, Ohio a million years ago that had flames on it. I do not remember the original color of the car. It could of been a 1969.

Some one else can post the US sold cars.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 07:53 PM

all 1968-'69-'70 b-body convertibles were St. Louis "G" assembled

the yellow car with flames - was HS's & RK Motor's

it is not related to the junkyard picture above other than they were both Y2 & HEMI

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 07:56 PM

It would be nice to have this thread moved out of "FOR SALE" (the craigslist link is dead) so it doesn't go the way of the dodo in a couple weeks whistling

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 08:37 PM

It would be nice to have this thread moved out of "FOR SALE" (the craigslist link is dead) so it doesn't go the way of the dodo in a couple weeks whistling

That's a good idea, that way there's some sort of written story about the cars listing what is known about them.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/13/17 10:39 PM

boogie

WS29J9G123856 **/*** ***** CANADA
WS27J9G1615xx Q5/P6X 4-SPD
WS27J9G1615xx **/*** AUTO
WS27J9G1749xx **/*** AUTO
WS27J9G1944xx Y2/P6X 4-SPD
WS27J9G1970xx Y2/P6X AUTO
WS27J9G2190xx B7/P6B 4-SPD
WS27J9G228186 **/*** ***** CANADA
WS27J9G276825 **/*** 4-SPD CANADA
WS27J9G276826 Y2/P6W AUTO CANADA
WS27J9G2800xx F6/P6W 4-SPD

per GG's numbers - there should be 10 US (4 w/4-spd & 6 w/AUTO) & 4 CANADA - at least 3 (VINs) MIA

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/14/17 01:36 AM

The story on the transmission out of one of the Canadian cars is. I bought it from a guy that ran a 427 Nova, Trevor Finley was his name. The Transmission had Liberty gears put in it and I needed a back up for my transmission of the same type. He also had the original gears with the transmission that I got when I bought the Liberty four speed and still have those stock gears. The Dana was bought by a friend of mine. Trevor told me when he went to buy the parts years before that the car was in an underground parking garage on Kingston Road in Scarborough, Ontario. He said the motor had rods out of the block. I later tried to find the car and could not. I told Nigel Mills about it and he could not find it either. Likely it was left in the underground for a long time and was towed away and scrapped. Nigel Mills, he knows lots about these B Body Hemi Convertibles. I believe Trevor told me the car was Blue with Black Interior and Black Top. That was back in the 70s when these things were just cars.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/14/17 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By 70440+6bbl
There was also a '69 hemi RT ragtop in an upstate NY junkyard.

Probably the same car. This was in a yard between Rochester and Buffalo. Wonder what became of the parts and other items of that R/T. The yard crushed out early 2000s.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/14/17 04:07 AM

Dan you got anything on a WS27J9G 278___. Have this number written down but no information on how I got it.

In stead of putting according to GG numbers you should put down according to KM numbers.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/14/17 07:25 AM

besides the "xx" at the end of the VIN & some owner/fender tag specifics - those are all the WS27J9Gs I know anything about.

they are GG's published numbers based on Chrysler docs/info via KM

GG has to own them - the good & bad twocents I would love to see the source docs boogie

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/14/17 05:22 PM

Dan now since most of the hard work is done on Olas book I will start talking to Ola about getting back to talking to the Source Doc. person. Maybe a group purchase of information might be the thing to do.
Posted By: drmopar

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/18/19 04:51 PM

The engine for ws27j9g276825 is currently for sale at Nicks Garage in Montreal.

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/18/19 06:09 PM

The body of the motor Nick has is presumed scrapped.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 1968 Hemi GTX Convertible - 02/19/19 05:38 AM

Sure do, He had several Hemi rag tops projects avail.
I was interested in the blue 1969 GTX vert , Hemi 4 spd car, but it was far far to far gone IMO ( at the time) and decided to pass on the car, ( still kicking myself for that one btw )
© 2024 Moparts Forums