Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Alright, I don't suggest shotgunning/purchasing parts at random for a solution but I'm thinking dist pickup. got another dist you could sub in for a quick test? (that'd be much easier than tearing down a dist to R&R the plate). plugs would act up right away and plug wires likely would the same way but not always but this sounds like a system upstream from them that is causing a major issue when it heats up (like the pickup or the box). EDIT With more thought I might borrow some plug wires & check the plugs both of which would be much easier

Plug wires are new as well as the plugs. I like your distributor idea but it looks new too, but that does not mean anything. I just rebuilt a factory transistorized ignition distributor on a 69 Corvette. The pickup coil was bad. In that situation the car would not start. I was able to troubleshoot it with voltage checks. I will check the ballast resistor, but for $5 from Auto Zone I think will just go buy one and put it in. Will also check the grounds again.

Thanks for the help.

Lawrence