I bypassed the amp gauge, not the voltage regulator.With my battery charged, I'm getting 13.6 volts with the engine off. I did Richard Ehrenberg's recommendation of connecting the alternator directly to the battery stud on the starter relay.I have disconnected the black wire from the alternator to the bulkhead connector. Should I hook it back up in addition to the wire going to the starter relay? Every thing was working fine until a week ago when it left me sitting. When I got the truck, someone had put a 100 amp alternator on it. When it started giving me trouble, I couldn't afford a new 100 amp unit. I had all the brackets for the 60 amp unit, so that's what I put on it. I am thinking that the 100 amp unit may not have been bad since I'm having the same problem after replacing it. I have an after market amp gauge from Harbor freight. Not sure whether I should use it or just get a volt gauge. I just replaced the voltage regulator this afternoon and don't know if it's charging now or not. Guess a new gauge will tell me.