Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Quote:
I'm thinking about changing the alternator too since i have to take it off to get to the fuel pump.
If things are OK now I would suggest leaving it as is & concentrate on the issues that need to be dealt with. If you pull/clean the bulkhead it will take care of most any potential electrical issues & never use the alt to charge a depleted battery (use a regular battery charger). Otherwise as said the 78 amper is the most powerful stock one except for the big 100 amp beast with the fan blades behind the pulley & it has special bracketry & is heavy but is a good piece. the 78 amper has a thin stator so a slight fore/aft mounting adjustment is needed (washers/spacers)

This is am excerpt from the link someone posted earlier.

"If your original alternator was 35 amps or less, we also recommend that you change the ammeter wiring to a thicker gauge. This will allow the charging system to use the extra amps more efficiently without having to worry about overheating or melting your existing ammeter wiring harness."

But you guys are saying if I put the 78 amp alt in I won't have to worry about melting wires, right?

1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 automatic transmission. Curb weight: 3800 lbs. All stock so far. Goal: Reliable everday driveable warmed up 400 as close to 400hp as possible, then a 470 stroker if need be. Don't protect a feminist when the collapse comes!