Rapid Robert: Thanks I'll try that this weekend

71 Bird: There is no belcrank There is just a rod that attaches to the pedal and the rod coming out of the booster through the firewall.

Dayclona: Yes auto trans. I put a vac gauge on the booster hose from the intake manifold and have 17in but that's in park. I didn't test in gear. I'll do that.
I adjusted the rod by leaving the master nuts loose, so that when I pushed the pedal the master was pushed forward after moving the pedal just less than the amount it needs to move to release the brake light switch. Then tightened the master nuts. That was without the car running. Maybe that's too far away and the rod is not pushing the master plunger far enough. You adjust the rod between pedal and booster. I don't think there is an adjustment between booster and master. Maybe there is, I'll have to check that also.
As a question, the rod length is the rod length. I thought that the booster only assisted to make it easier to push the pedal, but doesn't have any effect on the fact that the rod is engaging the master cylinder internal plunger, and forcing the fluid. A lack of vacuum would just make the pedal harder to push. Again that's a question. I'm I wrong? Or is it that the rod going in, and the rod coming out, of the booster is not one connected piece?

Thanks all.

Common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built into any product. These must be supplied by the operator.