Oh crap, I started a welder fight! lol. I too took a community college welding course about 10yrs ago, heh. no comment about the engineering trade

No way in hell I'd have this stick welded, nor would I try to MIG it myself. I'm definitely gonna have it done by someone who welds for a living, preferably on cars often. MIG should be less likely to blow through than TIG I'd think and the vertical welds shouldn't be an issue for an experienced welder.

I'm pretty positive it's not a factory weld judging by the appearance of the driver's side forward UCA mount which doesn't have rust from a clearly ground area for the weld-prep nor does it have welds that look like poo.

No idea why it was re-welded, but I don't see any signs of crash damage on the subframe or k-member.

Whether or not it's really an issue, I'm not sure, but the appearance definitely makes me nervous, certainly doesn't look like sound welding. Seems like there's some disagreement about just how stressed that mounting point is.

I'm gonna look into having it checked out on a frame machine, but at the 60-100$ an hour that'll probably be that route may be a no-go.

If I can just use the slotted holes and some tightly fit rod to align things than this may be no big deal to jig once cut. The hacking the mounts off and re-welding to achieve additional caster idea is interesting but I don't want to open a can-o-worms attempting it, at least not yet.

Last edited by lawndart; 03/04/16 05:07 AM.