John I KNOW you can do the NOS stuff but what most are saying is for a SERIOUS NOS effort you need to tow back or pull plugs at the high end. THE difference in the effort is making a good showing or winning the whole race. For you getting used to the NOS you can have it a little on the rich side so you don't hurt parts and not have to be so detailed in your efforts.
The TnT passes are a BIG help in getting it dialed in for the racing.
Mike had Good tunes on the polara and he just pulled a plug or 2 at the high end then drove it back most times. He ran 8.60 @ 160 in his 4000 lb car on 10" tires back in 2005/2006. I ran NOS on my grey RR, I just had the big shot kit and used their safe jetting from the instructions and never pulled a plug or hurt the motor, 9.29 @ 144.
You could always run it NA in the KOS series like a few others are just for the seat time. You can also get by without the laptop but it makes tuning a lot easier for engine tune and suspension tune also. Once you run the NOS you will be hooked on it as it makes a Big Difference and is a rush.
Cost is the determining factor for this type of racing so do your homework and make sure it's affordable.
Hope you can continue on the path of power. LOL
David