Originally Posted By jcc
"We have also had them run models to ensure the components designed are strong enough for the intended application - for example our K-Member design was evaluated for impact and tearout loads for the lower control arms - and we will beat the crap out of it at the track during testing as well."

Its all coming back to me, this is the welded alum K member? Do I also remember ground smooth welds? If either or both conditions are true, unless excessively over designed, which was not apparent by posted pictures, the one unknown being material thickness, and it members were in the .375"+ thickness range, and all welds were full penetration, the K member would have a very limited fatigue life. I don't see how an aftermarket niche supplier could afford fatigue testing, and the only option with the top two conditions of welded alum/ground welds, would eventually lead to failure. It those decisions were made, I would question the expertise of every other design solution they offered very carefully. I have made this very point when it was being marketed. I would like to have a XV K in my hands to better understand its design, so some of the above is just conjecture. Bottom line, welded alum on a suspension is a big no no with continuously reversed loads in a non redundant critical design member. twocents

This is why I don't try and discuss these things in here, somebody with a google diploma always pops up smile

There's destructive testing, and non destructive testing... Everything that was produced was 3D modeled, which means they also ran testing on the models within the software.

If I had the time, (I don't) I could run a few tests on our K within Solidworks....

That and the fact that when you know what the load will be on a given part, and you know what the yield strength of the material is, you put in a factor of something like 1.5 times what you calculated as the yield for safety, and you come up with a the correct design.

This isn't the dark ages, there's very little trial and error these days...

And the main reason I don't give away parts to be tested is that because liabilities I couldn't resell it..

Couple that with the fact that the testing is not being done by a professional company noted for this type of testing, to me, the data would not be valid...

But, I would be happy to sell you a $2000 K frame and have it!!!!

CR

Last edited by XVracing; 09/22/15 10:31 PM.