Quote:

Quick question, this may be dumb and I should know the answer, but what's the difference between AWD and 4WD? I was talking to a friend who is very much into Jeeps and hangs out with that crowd (one of the reasons I want to get an off-roading vehicle in the first places) and he said the V8 Grand Cherokees all had an AWD transfer case and they really don't do too well off-roading as a 4.0L Cherokee with 4WD (which he advised I should look into more). He also said I shouldn't have a problem with towing the Dart as people tow they're Wrangler's out to the desert with their Cherokees and GC's.

AWD always drives all 4 wheels. 4wd is generally selectable for 2wd vs. 4wd. AWD frequently is for foul weather capability but not really off road. This is not always the case though as there are cars like the jeep grand cherokee that are AWD but are legitimately off road capabile with low range.

Also, not all Grand Cherokee's were AWD only. My 2002 WJ had the NV242 transfer case that offered 2wd, AWD, Locked 4hi and locked 4 lo. Although others above have suggested the XJ cherokee is a better platform than the ZJ and WJ grand cherokee I strongly disagree with that arguement.

-Jon

8462576-jeep.jpg (33 downloads)

70 challenger convertible. 340/5 speed. blown, intercooled, efi, blah blah blah 71 valiant scamp 318/A833OD/AC/PS 00 dakota RC 4.7L 5 spd autoX'r. SRT10/T56 swap in process 73 W200 Power wagon, PTO winch, 4 spd