Quote:

So, in the future I was thinking about getting a Jeep of some sort to go off-roading and serve as a potential back-up vehicle (so off-roading won't be its primary function).

This seems contradictory to me. If it's to be a back-up to your daily driver then I see no reason why off-roading can't be it's primary function. It doesn't have to be a tube-chassis rock buggy, a well-built trail runner can have decent enough road manners for the occasional trip to the Piggly-Wiggly too.

As for your choices, I'd aim for the ZJ. There's probably been a million made, they're usually less expensive than the other 2 mentioned, have nearly the same level of aftermarket support (if you shop around) and they blow the others away when it comes to creature comforts. Don't be afraid to look into the WJs either ('99-'04). They still have solid axles but I believe the unibody structure is like 25% stiffer than the ZJ they replaced and the 4.7 gets better mileage than the 5.2 did. After 5 ZJs I've stepped up to a WJ daily driver and am looking for another as a trail rig. Regardless of what you end up with...happy wheelin'!

Cheeto
It's not perfect.
It's not correct.
It's not yours!