Quote:

Quote:

The data you're referring to isn't accessible with the typical hand-held scanner.

I have already pointed this out, if you have the coin you can buy the proper unit for retrieving the data.

Just so were clear, we both understand a normal scan tool will not obtain the data. If you wish to pop $8000 or so you can get the tool that does.

An adjuster and/or an insurance company would have virtually no incentive to spend that kind of coin on a piece of equipment that would provide no tangible benefit whatsoever. Smaller companies don't have that kind of budget. Larger companies have too many appraisers. Which appraisers do you give it to? What do you do with the illegally obtained data? You can't use it in court, which makes it worthless.

And again, they would have no need for the data unless it were a fatality/serious injury/product liability type issue, in which case it could be obtained by subpoena and then utilized. It's not needed in the majority of fatality/serious injury cases anyway, so if an insurer needed the data and obtained a subpoena, it would be far cheaper to pay someone to retrieve the data than it would be to pay for expensive equipment themselves, only to have it sit around and collect dust.

20 years of handling claims, thousands of accident claims handled, and I can think of 2 times that I've been involved in claims where crash data was needed. One was a fatality, one was a product liability situation. That's 2 out of thousands, including (unfortunately), a few hundred fatalities.

It's not an ethical/unethical thing. It's a smart business thing. There's no benefit to the insurer to spend the money to have the equipment.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP