Quote:

Is that where the data recorder is? I was under the impression that it is positioned elsewhere in the vehicle so that it can easily be removed and "read" by big brother.

Depends on the vehicle but they are either on vehicle network bus or directly integrated into the ECM. I had lots of training from Mopar on the various buses and protocols used but don't recall the subject ever coming up in training but its been a few years.

I suspect on Chryslers its in the ECM or TIPM (if they still call it that) or the airbag module would be a logical place. I don't recall a separate module anywhere and it would be cheaper to integrate it into a module that is already there and has access to the data stream.

I'm sure Chrysler can read the information sans vehicle and in a big case they might send the module in to be read. Not really sure on that point though as I don't recall any big cases off the top of my head that "black box" data was a pivotal piece of info.

Aside from the Toyota cases that is which helped prove Toyota was not at fault for "unintended acceleration"

"I think its got a hemi"